Wilkinson, Osborne picked for Sporting News' top coaches list
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin
The Sporting News came up with an interesting list of its top 50 selections of the greatest coaches of all time.
Not surprisingly, legendary UCLA men's basketball coach John Wooden earned the top slot.
There were 11 college football coaches on the list, including two that represented Big 12 schools during their coaching careers. It was selected by a panel of 118 Hall of Famers, championship coaches and other experts.
Bud Wilkinson of Oklahoma was picked as 29th on the list and Tom Osborne of Nebraska was 34th.
Two active coaches were picked and there's really no surprise that either of them made the list. Penn State's Joe Paterno was listed as 13th and Florida State's Bobby Bowden checked in at No. 24.
And several coaches in college basketball, the NBA and the NFL with Big 12 connections also made the list.
Among them included:
- Dean Smith, college basketball, No. 8: Graduated from Kansas.
- Bob Knight, college basketball, No. 16: Retired from coaching after finishing his career at Texas Tech.
- Tom Landry, NFL, No. 18: Played college football at Texas.
- Adolph Rupp, college basketball, No. 21: Played college basketball at Kansas.
- Bill Parcells, NFL, No. 33: Worked as an assistant football coach at Texas Tech.
- Hank Iba, college basketball, No. 47: Coached at Oklahoma State.
- Gregg Popovich, NBA, No. 49: Worked as volunteer assistant at Kansas.
It's a well-researched list and Big 12 schools certainly are well represented.