Big 12 lunch links: Baylor's indoor facility opens
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin
The final weekend before fall practice begins across the Big 12 had most coaches savoring their last free weekend for a long time over the last couple of days.
But here are some delicious lunch links to get us ready for the start of practice at most Big 12 schools later this week.
- The Waco Tribune-Herald's John Werner writes about Baylor's new $11 million Jay and Jenny Allison Indoor Football Facility which will open later this week. Baylor becomes the 10th Big 12 team with an indoor practice facility.
- The Austin American-Statesman's Kirk Bohls wonders if the Big 12 is overrated when compared with the SEC.
- Kerry Meier's transformation from quarterback to wide receiver is analyzed by the Topeka Capital-Journal's Rick Dean.
- The Tulsa World's Dave Sittler opines about the South Division's domination over the North.
- Bo Pelini's Football 202 clinic provided all kinds of neat tidbits into the Nebraska program for the Omaha World Herald's Tom Shatel and the Lincoln Journal-Star's Steve Sipple.
- The Columbia Tribune's Dave Matter wonders if the Big 12's defenses are really as bad as their statistics indicate - or whether it's merely a byproduct of playing against so many good offensive teams.
- The Kansas City Star's Mike DeArmond expects two-time defending North Division championship game performer Missouri to be better early than most preseason prognosticators are predicting.
- Florida defensive coordinator Charlie Strong met with Texas A&M's defensive staff this spring to share some of the Gators' tips that boosted them to the national championship, Brent Zwerneman of the Houston Chronicle/San Antonio Express-News reports.
- New Iowa State defensive coordinator Wally Burnham describes his new unit as a sponge to the Ames Tribune's Bobby La Gesse because they are so eager to learn.
- Wide receiver prospect Keeston Terry of Blue Springs, Mo., told the Lincoln Journal-Star's Brian Christopherson that he changed his recruiting commitment from Nebraska to Kansas because he felt "more comfortable with Lawrence."
- Texas Tech will be looking for depth in the defensive line, another starting cornerback and a starting left tackle when the Red Raiders' fall practice begins on Saturday, the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal's Don Williams reports.
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
0:40 4th Qtr Fresno State 6 Rice 30 Final Central Michigan 48 Western Kentucky 49
Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6 Final 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 Final Western Michigan 24 Air Force 38 Final South Alabama 28 Bowling Green 33
Final Marshall 52 Northern Illinois 23 Final Navy 17 San Diego State 16
1:00 PM ET Illinois Louisiana Tech 4:30 PM ET Rutgers North Carolina 8:00 PM ET North Carolina State UCF
1:00 PM ET Cincinnati Virginia Tech 2:00 PM ET 15 Arizona State Duke 3:30 PM ET Miami (FL) South Carolina 4:30 PM ET Boston College Penn State 8:00 PM ET Nebraska 24 USC
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State