Lunch links: Let Gene Chizik go, Ames
January, 10, 2011
By David Ubben | ESPN.com
If you get rich off of this stuff, take care of my family. I don’t want my kids to have to go to college.
- Iowa State fans surely have mixed feeling about tonight's national championship, but Sean Keeler of the Des Moines Register says it's time to let former coach Gene Chizik's forgettable tenure in Ames go.
- Chuck Carlton of the Dallas Morning News gives a behind the scenes look at Texas' pair of coordinator hires last week.
- Nebraska should be prepared to battle for Bo Pelini. It could happen in the coming days or weeks, writes Steve Sipple of the Lincoln Journal Star.
- The uncertainty at Texas hasn't affected the Longhorns' 2011 recruiting class, writes Cedric Golden of the Austin American-Statesman.
- Texas A&M and LSU's matchup in the Cotton Bowl was FOX's most-watched Friday night program in over a year.
- Oklahoma State kicker Dan Bailey closed his Lou Groza Award-winning season in a big way, writes Brandon Chatmon of The Oklahoman.
- Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops says he has an idea about who'll fill his open assistant spot, reports Jake Trotter of The Oklahoman.
- Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, who was shot at a Tucson supermarket over the weekend, has a brother who used to be a kicker for Iowa State, and beat Iowa with a last-second field goal in 1980, reports Emily Price of KCCI in Des Moines.
- The return of Ryan Broyles and Travis Lewis could cause some problems for the Sooners when it comes to scholarships, reports John Hoover of the Tulsa World.
- Richard Croome of the Bryan-College Station Eagle says the SEC proved it's dominance over the Big 12 again in Friday's Cotton Bowl.
- A Kansas State freshman quarterback may be transferring.