Big 12 lunch links: Michael a quick study in A&M's backfield
August, 12, 2009
By Tim Griffin | ESPN.com
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin
It's a getaway day here, but I couldn't forget a few lunch links to throw on the fire before leaving town.
- The San Antonio Express-News' Brent Zwerneman reports how the addition of heralded running back Christine Michael already is improving Texas A&M's moribund running game.
- Kansas wide receiver Dezmon Briscoe comments to the Kansas City Star's J. Brady McCollough about what he learned this summer during his team-mandated suspension.
- Tulsa World columnist Dave Sittler analyzes the tenuous backup quarterback situations at Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. And Oklahoma State quarterback Zac Robinson again was limited in his practice work on Tuesday with what coach Mike Gundy called a strained hamstring, the Tulsa World's Ryan Steele reports.
- The Omaha World-Herald's Tom Shatel wonders if heralded Nebraska freshman quarterback Cody Green is ticketed for a redshirt.
- Even without two-time Biletnikoff winner Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech coach Mike Leach tells The Dallas Morning News' Chuck Carlton that the Red Raiders' receivers might be better this season.
- The Norman Transcript's John Shinn writes about the turnover on Oklahoma's offense. The Sooners could have six new offensive starters this season -- the most since a 2005 season that represents the only time this decade the Sooners failed to win at least 10 games.
- Attorneys representing Kansas State disputed charges by those representing former coach Ron Prince that the school was aware of Prince's $3.2 million buyout, the Topeka Capital-Journal's Austin Meek reports.
- The Boulder Camera's Kyle Ringo writes about Ryan Miller and Bryce Givens, old high school rivals who now man the right side of Colorado's starting offensive line.
- Devin McDowell and Ter'ran Benton are learning the importance of playing nickelback in Paul Rhoads' defensive scheme, the Ames Tribune's Bobby La Gesse reports.
- Converted high school quarterback T.J. Moe will be targeted to play wide receiver for Missouri -- as soon as his rehab from foot surgery is complete -- the St. Louis Post-Dispatch's Jeremy Rutherford reports.
- Baylor cornerbacks Clifton Odom, Antareis Bryan and Tim Atchison are gearing up for the challenge of facing the Big 12's potent passing attacks, the Waco Tribune-Herald's John Werner reports.
- Texas senior linebacker Roddrick Muckelroy is one of the few Longhorns who faithfully takes notes during the team's defensive meetings, the Austin American-Statesman's Alan Trubow reports.