Big 12 lunch links: Pickens examines his OSU largesse
August, 18, 2009
By Tim Griffin | ESPN.com
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin
Here are a few stories from around the Big 12 this afternoon.
- The Oklahoman's Jenni Carlson has T. Boone Pickens' comments after his first inspection of the renovations at Oklahoma State that he contributed much of the funding for.
- Wide receiver Jordan Shipley tells the Austin American-Statesman's Kirk Bohls about his budding musical career and starting his sixth season in the Texas program.
- Nose tackle Colby Whitlock's interception return for a touchdown highlighted Texas Tech's Monday night scrimmage, the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal's Don Williams reports.
- Iowa State Board of Regents Chairman David Miles told the Des Moines Register's Tom Witkosky that his board's goal is to provide no taxpayer money to Iowa State's athletic department in the future. Iowa State is expected to draw about $3 million of its $43.3 million budget from this source this year.
- The St. Louis Post-Dispatch's Gerry Fraley writes that Missouri is intent on becoming more of a running team after producing the fewest average carries per game last season in at least 60 seasons.
- Tulsa World beat reporter Bill Haisten wonders if Oklahoma State will live up to all of its preseason hype.
- The Waco Tribune-Herald's John Werner profiles massive Baylor defensive tackle Phil Taylor, who is expected to provide a talent infusion for the weak middle of the Bears' defensive front.
- The Tulsa World's Guerin Emig discusses the noticeable change in Oklahoma kicker Jimmy Stevens' accuracy during training camp.
- Robert Cessna of the Bryan Eagle writes about the increased versatility in Texas A&M's line -- as typified by sophomore Danny Baker, who played all five line positions at Monday's two practices.
- Nebraska's wide receiver Niles Paul is excited about his new role as the Cornhuskers' primary punt returner, the Lincoln Journal Star's Brian Christopherson reports.
- The Kansas City Star's Blair Kerkhoff provides his positional rankings across the Big 12.
- Senior Kansas defensive end Maxwell Onyegbule and his number-crunching plans after football are profiled by the Lawrence Journal-World's Andrew Hartsock.
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
2:00 PM ET Washington State Colorado State 3:30 PM ET 20 Fresno State 25 USC 5:30 PM ET Buffalo San Diego State 9:00 PM ET Tulane Louisiana-Lafayette
6:00 PM ET Pittsburgh Bowling Green 9:30 PM ET Utah State 23 Northern Illinois
2:30 PM ET Marshall Maryland 6:00 PM ET Syracuse Minnesota 9:30 PM ET Brigham Young Washington
12:00 PM ET Rutgers Notre Dame 3:20 PM ET Cincinnati North Carolina 6:45 PM ET Miami (FL) 18 Louisville 10:15 PM ET Michigan Kansas State
11:45 AM ET Middle Tennessee Navy 3:15 PM ET Ole Miss Georgia Tech 6:45 PM ET 10 Oregon Texas 10:15 PM ET 14 Arizona State Texas Tech
12:30 PM ET Arizona Boston College 2:00 PM ET Virginia Tech 17 UCLA 4:00 PM ET Rice Mississippi State 8:00 PM ET 24 Duke 21 Texas A&M
12:00 PM ET Nebraska 22 Georgia 12:00 PM ET UNLV North Texas 1:00 PM ET Iowa 16 LSU 1:00 PM ET 19 Wisconsin 9 South Carolina 5:00 PM ET 5 Stanford 4 Michigan State 8:30 PM ET 15 UCF 6 Baylor
7:30 PM ET 13 Oklahoma State 8 Missouri 8:30 PM ET 12 Clemson 7 Ohio State