Lunch links: Supersized Media Days Links
July, 26, 2011
By ESPN.com staff | ESPN.com
- Only Texas, coming off a 5-7 season and having no idea who its quarterback is, could dominate the conversation at media days, writes Kirk Bohls of the Austin American-Statesman.
- The Bronx Salute was the talk of Big 12 Media Days early on in Day 1, writes Kellis Robinett of the Kansas City Star.
- Gary Pinkel is still expecting defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson at practice when players report for fall camp.
- OSU safety Markelle Martin got in front of the camera and interviewed his teammate, Justin Blackmon, at Big 12 Media Days.
- Could Missouri and Oklahoma State be new rivals in the Big 12?
- Complain all you want, Big 12 programs. Texas will still do what it wants, writes Dennis Dodd of CBSSports.com.
- Kansas quarterback Brock Berglund pleaded not guilty to an assault charge back in his home state of Colorado, reports Matt Tait of the Lawrence Journal-World.
- Matt Hayes of Sporting News talks with the Aggies about the difficult decision to bench Jerrod Johnson last season, and its fruitful results.
- A reserve Iowa State defensive back was arrested for operating a vehicle while intoxicated, reports Andrew Logue of the Des Moines Register.
- Texas Tech says welcome to our world, former Big 12 North teams, writes Don Williams of the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal.
- Jenni Carlson of The Oklahoman writes that Oklahoma State quarterback Brandon Weeden is the Big 12's best in charisma. And also drops a "loquacious" on us. The use will be forgiven on account of this incident.
- Kevin Haskin of the Topeka Capital-Journal weighs in on the Big 12 pep rally, and sneaks in a bear poop joke. I'll take it.
- Safe to say colleague Ivan Maisel was not a fan of Dan Beebe's grand entrance on Monday.
- Gregg Doyel of CBSSports.com says Texas' TV drama could leave the Longhorns with lots of exes, and calls out Texas A&M for its hypocrisy.
- Matt Tait of the Lawrence Journal-World has a nice running wrap-up of the Day 1 events.
- Texas A&M is embracing its extra media day attention, writes Jason King of Yahoo.
- Missouri defensive end Jacquies Smith says no rivalry compares to Kansas-Missouri, reports Eric Sorrentino of the Lawrence Journal-World.
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
Final North Dakota State 34 Iowa State 14 Final West Virginia 23 2 Alabama 33 Final Louisiana Tech 16 4 Oklahoma 48 Final Samford 14 TCU 48 Final Central Arkansas 35 Texas Tech 42 Final Stephen F. Austin 16 20 Kansas State 55 Final North Texas 7 Texas 38 Final 1 Florida State 37 Oklahoma State 31