Surprises on K-State's debut two-deep
August, 31, 2011
By ESPN.com staff | ESPN.com
Bill Snyder unfortunately abandoned his stealth approach and handed out the Wildcats two-deep at the media gathering on Tuesday.
A few thoughts:
A few thoughts:
- The big headline is obvious: Bill Snyder wasn't kidding about a) his running back spot being the most competitive on the team and b) Bryce Brown not exactly setting the world on fire like some in Manhattan had hoped he would. Brown debuted as a co-starter at the position with juco transfer Angelo Pease and John Hubert, but is listed third. Everybody's getting touches in the season opener, but being impressive early is going to be a key for those guys.
- Collin Klein is the starting QB of course, but juco transfer Justin Tuggle isn't listed, and Sammuel Lamur is the clear No. 2.
- As expected, Nigel Malone snatched the other corner spot opposite David Garrett. He'll be backed up by Allen Chapman and Kip Daily at the other reserve corner spot. In the Big 12, the Wildcats are going to need all those guys to get it done if this defense is going to improve.
- Shuan Simon made a big move in fall camp to grab the starting center spot, and B.J. Finney's been moved over to right guard.
- With Brandon Harold, probably the most physically gifted defensive lineman on the team, gone now, the Wildcats will go with Adam Davis and Jordan Voelker. That group struggled last year and has a lot to prove. The front seven was a big struggle for the defense last year, but the line will be backed by a pretty solid group of linebackers. Arthur Brown starts in the middle between Tre Walker and converted safety Emmanuel Lamur. Alex Hrebec is a solid reserve at middle linebacker, too.
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
12:00 PM ET 4 Oklahoma Tulsa 12:00 PM ET 20 Kansas State Iowa State 3:30 PM ET Missouri State Oklahoma State 7:00 PM ET Southeast Missouri State Kansas 7:30 PM ET BYU Texas 7:30 PM ET Towson West Virginia 7:30 PM ET Northwestern State 10 Baylor 11:00 PM ET Texas Tech UTEP