Lunch links: Pac-16 resurrection?
September, 1, 2011
By ESPN.com staff | ESPN.com
A little random, but has anybody heard from the Polyphonic Spree in awhile? Are they dead?
- Jay Drew of the Salt Lake Tribune reports that officials from BYU and the Big 12 have been in talks about what conditions and assurances BYU would need to jump to the Big 12.
- One more move and the Big 12 is over. Go ahead and head to the Pac-12, Oklahoma, and usher in the superconference writes Kirk Bohls of the Austin American-Statesman.
- The family of Oklahoma linebacker Austin Box says it may have information that will help police in investigating his death.
- Iowa State AD Jamie Pollard says the Big 12 is approaching expansion in a manner similar to a coaching search, writes Bobby La Gesse of the Ames Tribune.
- Texas A&M's move to the SEC doesn't put any additional pressure on Missouri, writes Mike DeArmond of the Kansas City Star.
- Oklahoma holds a strong spot in the realignment carousel, and is poised to make a move in essentially any direction it wants, writes Jake Trotter of SoonerNation.
- With teams across the Big 12 issuing statements of support, Oklahoma's silence is deafening, writes Travis Haney of The Oklahoman.
- However, the Sooners have to play the waiting game, writes Berry Tramel of The Oklahoman.
- Being in a conference makes sense for Texas, writes Carter Strickland of HornsNation.com.
- With realignment spinning once again, Oklahoma State can say one big thing: Thank God for Boone Pickens.
- Oklahoma is still working toward a television network of its own.
- TCU's rivalry with Baylor is turning bitter, writes Stefan Stevenson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
- Neither Texas A&M nor Texas has come out of this looking very good, writes Richard Justice of the Houston Chronicle.
- Tramel breaks down the options for the Big 12.
- Unfairness is to blame for the Big 12 breakup, and Texas A&M has made its point, writes Tully Corcoran of Fox Sports.
- Good luck in the SEC, Texas A&M. Kevin Sherrington of the Dallas Morning News says you'll need it.
- Missouri plans to launch its internet television network on Dec. 1.
- Newsy day at Texas: Quarterback Connor Wood will transfer and linebacker DeMarco Cobbs is out indefinitely with a broken arm.
- Big plays in make-or-break moments have helped shape Landry Jones into a Heisman contender, writes Trotter.
- Sam Bradford's Heisman statue is up in Norman outside Owen Field.
- Yours truly and a few others weighed in on Iowa State's chances with the Des Moines Register.
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
2:17 1st Qtr South Alabama 7 Bowling Green 14 Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6 Final 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 Final Western Michigan 24 Air Force 38
6:00 PM ET Marshall Northern Illinois 9:30 PM ET Navy San Diego State
12:00 PM ET Central Michigan Western Kentucky 8:00 PM ET Fresno State Rice
1:00 PM ET Illinois Louisiana Tech 4:30 PM ET Rutgers North Carolina 8:00 PM ET North Carolina State UCF
1:00 PM ET Cincinnati Virginia Tech 2:00 PM ET 15 Arizona State Duke 3:30 PM ET Miami (FL) South Carolina 4:30 PM ET Boston College Penn State 8:00 PM ET Nebraska 24 USC
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State