Lunch links: Who is the Big 12 bad guy?
September, 2, 2011
By ESPN.com staff | ESPN.com
We are all vulnerable. And we will all, at some point in our lives, fall. We will all fall. We must carry this in our hearts: That what we have is special. And that it can be taken from us, and that when it is taken from us, we will be tested. We will be tested to our very souls. We will now all be tested. It is these times, it is this pain, that allows us to look inside ourselves.
- Craig Box, Austin Box's father, looks back at the letters he wrote his son with Travis Haney of The Oklahoman. Box isn't sure if he'll be at Oklahoma's opener on Saturday, where his son will be honored. Haney has more on the story and experience in his blog.
- Tom Wort will wear Box's No. 12 jersey in Saturday's game against Tulsa.
- Texas AD DeLoss Dodds wants to keep the Big 12, but he's not closing any options, and wants to stay with Oklahoma, reports Kirk Bohls of the Austin American-Statesman.
- It's been a long road to Kansas State for Arthur and Bryce Brown. Will they finally find success? Austin Meek of the Topeka Capital-Journal tells their story.
- If the Big 12 breaks up, Kansas and Kansas State aren't necessarily tied together, writes J. Brady McCollough of the Kansas State.
- Texas says it's not a villain in this realignment saga. It's right, says SI.com's Andy Staples.
- Is Air Force the next in line drawing serious interest from the Big 12? Dennis Dodd of CBSSports.com says yes.
- KU to a bowl game? It's not impossible, says Matt Tait of the Lawrence Journal-World.
- Texas says Texas A&M had an opportunity to partner up for a joint television network.
- How can Oklahoma fill Travis Lewis' leadership void? Berry Tramel of The Oklahoman examines the question.
- How do bad haircuts help a football team? Kellis Robinett of the Wichita Eagle explains how that was the case at Kansas State.
- Texas Tech AD Kirby Hocutt spoke to the media on Thursday about the Big 12's "nervous position."
- There's a new Jayhawk bronze statue on KU's campus, and it looks pretty awesome. Players will begin the tradition of touching it on the way to the field on each game day.
- Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III will take on some familiar faces tonight in Waco, writes Stefan Stevenson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
- New Iowa State quarterback Steele Jantz has come a long way from impersonating Tim Tebow.
- Oklahoma State's offensive line was the best in the league last year and brought back all five starters. So why do they have a new left tackle? Gina Mizell of The Oklahoman explains.
- Mike DeArmond of the Kansas City Star traces Missouri tight end Michael Egnew's road from unknown to All-American.
- Is this compelling evidence against BYU to the Big 12? See here and then see here. BUT WHAT DOES IT MEAN?