Lunch links: College football's biggest issue
January, 11, 2012
By ESPN.com staff | ESPN.com
Congratulations to Kirk Bohls and Berry Tramel, who were both honored by the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association as the sportswriters of the year in Texas and Oklahoma, respectively.
- The championship recipe for Texas? Look at Alabama to find it, writes Kirk Bohls of the Austin American-Statesman.
- Want to go to a TCU game? It'll cost you more this year, but the prices are still the cheapest in the Big 12, reports Stefan Stevenson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
- Berry Tramel of The Oklahoman weighs in on how OSU would matchup against LSU. He also pleads for change and points out the not so obvious: College football's biggest problem is its regular season.
- There are still 50 or 60 plans on the table, but a four-team playoff could be coming. Jim Delany's not standing in the way of this one.
- Change could be brought about from "SEC fatigue," writes George Schroeder of SI.com.
- West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen is targeting an assistant at his old stomping ground at Oklahoma State, Joe DeForest.
- Matt Tait of the Lawrence Journal-World weighs in on why Kansas' defensive coordinator search is taking so long. The Jayhawks did just swipe the DC from North Texas, though.
- Texas' former offensive line coach may be headed to Penn State.
- Columbia, Missouri, is looking to enhance its downtown culture during gameday as it joins the SEC, reports Benjamin Nadler of the Columbia Missourian.
- Former Kansas State coach Vince Gibson died late on Monday.
- Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill reportedly injured his foot and will miss the Senior Bowl.
- Picking the next Big 12 champ? It's anyone's guess, writes Jimmy Burch of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
6:10 2nd Qtr Fresno State 6 Rice 16 Final Central Michigan 48 Western Kentucky 49
Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6 Final 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 Final Western Michigan 24 Air Force 38 Final South Alabama 28 Bowling Green 33
Final Marshall 52 Northern Illinois 23 Final Navy 17 San Diego State 16
1:00 PM ET Illinois Louisiana Tech 4:30 PM ET Rutgers North Carolina 8:00 PM ET North Carolina State UCF
1:00 PM ET Cincinnati Virginia Tech 2:00 PM ET 15 Arizona State Duke 3:30 PM ET Miami (FL) South Carolina 4:30 PM ET Boston College Penn State 8:00 PM ET Nebraska 24 USC
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State