Lunch links: TCU fallout, UL to Big 12?
February, 17, 2012
By ESPN.com staff | ESPN.com
Heck of a job these past couple days from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, covering all angles of the TCU drug scandal, and doing so comprehensively and fairly. Check 'em out.
- Stefan Stevenson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that just five players failed the team-administered drug test on Feb. 1 at TCU, not 60 or 82, numbers players told undercover police in sworn affidavits. The school's chancellor also explained his decision not to release the full drug test results.
- The school needs to take control of the message and release the number of how many people failed the test, writes the Star-Telegram in a staff editorial.
- TCU could have gone with a cover-up, and Randy Galloway of the Star-Telegram tells you how. It didn't.
- Experts say TCU's aggressive crisis management was effective, even if it rubbed some the wrong way, writes the Star-Telegram's Alex Branch.
- What do local high school coaches think of the scandal? Jarret Johnson of the Star-Telegram checks in with them, especially ones with former players on the team.
- The Big 12 needs to show West Virginia it belongs and invite Louisville to serve as a bridge, writes Berry Tramel of The Oklahoman.
- Two of Texas' spring practices will be open, a change from last year.
- How will the drug bust affect TCU on the recruiting trail? Brian Perroni of SI.com weighs in.
- What do TCU students think about the drug culture at their university? Reporters Joe Richardson and Ashley Stainton of the Dallas Morning News went to find out.
- Former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach's appeal in his wrongful termination suit against his former employer was denied by the Texas Supreme Court.
- Looks like Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy didn't have to look too far to find his new secondary coach, according to Bill Haisten and Eric Bailey of the Tulsa World.
- Kansas added a few walk-ons from the area.
- Don Williams of the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal previews the linebackers at Texas Tech in anticipation of spring practice, which begins today.