Lunch links: Big 12 bylaws causing a stir
April, 2, 2012
By ESPN.com staff | ESPN.com
What's the bigger upset? KU winning the Big 12, considering its roster to start the season? Or KU winning tonight?
- West Virginia will be adding some sports some time, but which ones? AD Oliver Luck isn't so sure. "I think the conference office is probably grateful to us because it's forcing them to take a look at their bylaws," Luck said. "I don't think they'd paid much attention to some of the things that are in there." This is my unsurprised face.
- The Texas QBs? David Ash's chance to win the job this year looks as likely as Garrett Gilbert's did this time last year, writes Kirk Bohls of the Austin American-Statesman. And hey, why didn't UT attempt a field goal in the spring game?
- TCU is changing leagues, but its program's foundation is the same, writes Gil LeBreton of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
- Don Williams of the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal sorts out who'll be playing and who won't among Tech receivers.
- Luck talks more about the Big 12 transition, noting that Florida State is still on the 2013 schedule.
- Iowa State coach Paul Rhoads offers a beard update, and linebacker Jake Knott talks about spending time off the field with Andrew Logue of the Des Moines Register. He also offers a look at former quarterback Jerome Tiller, who sat out last season because of academic issues, but is making an impact at receiver.
- It's not a big change, but Bobby Jack Wright is in charge of special teams at Oklahoma. Mike Baldwin of The Oklahoman explains exactly what that means.
- Cedric Golden of the Austin American-Statesman liked the physicality he saw from Texas in its spring game on Sunday.
- Former Baylor QB Robert Griffin III challenged Brittney Griner to a dunk contest. Hmm ... that sounds familiar.
- Texas unveiled its statue of Ricky Williams at the spring game on Sunday.
- The Sooners picked up a running back from Florida for the 2013 class.
- Oklahoma State offensive coordinator Todd Monken talks about his preparation for Year 2 with Gina Mizell of The Oklahoman.
- Ahmad Rashad checks in with Robert Griffin III and his parents.
- Richard Tijerina of the Austin American-Statesman has a few spare thoughts from Texas' spring game.
- The Statesman's Suzanne Halliburton tracks Baylor's recent rise as part of the "Baylor 2012" program, which sought to make the Bears the Baptist version of Notre Dame.
- Oklahoma would like you to begin drooling over receiver Trey Metoyer. Onward to YouTube!
- John Hoover of the Tulsa World catches up with former Sooner Brian Simmons, who tells what life is like in the Canadian Football League.
- Is Texas Tech moving a safety to defensive end? Looks like it.
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
Final North Dakota State 34 Iowa State 14 Final West Virginia 23 2 Alabama 33 Final Louisiana Tech 16 4 Oklahoma 48 Final Samford 14 TCU 48 Final Central Arkansas 35 Texas Tech 42 Final Stephen F. Austin 16 20 Kansas State 55 Final North Texas 7 Texas 38 Final 1 Florida State 37 Oklahoma State 31