Big 12 spring game recap: Iowa State
April, 16, 2012
By ESPN.com staff | ESPN.com
Miss Iowa State's spring game on Saturday? No worries, we've got you covered.
- Jared Barnett threw for 67 yards on 11-of-21 passing, and Steele Jantz completed 16 of 28 passes for 194 yards.
- Barnett rushed 11 times for 55 yards.
- A 56-yard bomb to Josh Lenz highlighted Jantz's day.
- Linebacker A.J. Klein returned an interception 94 yards for a touchdown, a stretch of five plays with three interceptions.
- Lenz led the team with seven catches for 98 yards.
- Cardinal beat Gold, 13-7, whatever that means.
- An estimated 5,000 fans showed up.
- Iowa State has nothing settled at quarterback. Barnett looked like the future quarterback midseason after leading ISU to three wins in his first three starts --including an upset over No. 2 Oklahoma State. He struggled down the stretch, was benched in the bowl game and gave way to Jantz. He started the 2011 season with three fourth-quarter comeback wins. After 15 spring practices, nothing is settled. Coach Paul Rhoads says it's still even and he won't declare a winner until August, which is exactly where the Cyclones were this time last year.
- They're down one quarterback, though. Jerome Tiller, who was in the race last year, has found a nice home at receiver. This is good to see after Tiller missed all of the 2011 season because of academic ineligibility. He caught five passes for 44 yards. "It was fun," Tiller told reporters. "It was a pretty smooth transition."
- The defense looked good, although it is not used to giving up long passes to Lenz. He established himself as Barnett's top target in the slot late last season while Darius Reynolds was Jantz's favorite. But long balls from Jantz to Lentz? That's nutz.
- The offense turned it over four times, including Klein's long score, but Rhoads wasn't taking a lot away from those plays. "I didn’t think those interceptions were all just great defensive plays," Rhoads told reporters "I think the offense hurt themselves in that regard. ... I shouldn’t let those turnovers completely influence me, but they didn’t show up like they have in probably the last four to six practices."
"When we get started in August, we will see who wants to perform. Timetable ... I don’t know. When I know we got a No. 1, 1 I will tell you." - Paul Rhoads, on the quarterback race.
Tweets from https://twitter.com/ESPNCFB/lists/big12