Big 12 spring game recap: Baylor Bears
April, 16, 2012
By ESPN.com staff | ESPN.com
Miss Baylor's spring game on Saturday? We've got you covered.
- Nick Florence ruined the defense's day, completing 14-of-18 passes for 180 yards and three touchdowns. Bryce Petty completed 18-of-27 passes for 146 yards and a touchdown.
- Lache Seastrunk stole the show with 135 yards on just seven carries, including a 75-yard touchdown.
- Lanear Sampson caught five passes for 65 yards and a touchdown. Tevin Reese had four catches for 89 yards.
- Josh Wilson led all tacklers with 10 stops.
- The Bears ran 112 plays in the 75-minute scrimmage.
- About 2,750 fans showed up.
- When I visited Baylor this spring, Seastrunk was the third man in what looked like a pretty balanced backfield by committee. Now, though? If he's that productive for the rest of fall camp, he may be validating that recruiting hype and hoopla that followed his transfer from Oregon. His competition, Jarred Salubi (88 yards, seven carries) and Glasco Martin (58 yards, TD eight carries) were productive, but Seastrunk has that home-run capability. Salubi does, too, but the senior hasn't shown it on the field. Fall camp should be an interesting race. All three could be productive, but Briles prefers to have a featured back in the offense. Jay Finley and Terrance Ganaway were outstanding the past two years, and I like Baylor's chances to have a third 1,000-yard rusher.
- Color me unsurprised at Florence and Petty's big day. Baylor, Oklahoma and West Virginia all have a case as the league's deepest roster of QBs.
- The easy rebuttal from those numbers is Baylor's defense is terrible. Well, it was last year. It won't be great this year, and it might not be a ton better. That said, putting up those kinds of numbers is difficult, and my point is this: Baylor's still going to have one of the league's most productive offenses. RG3 had lots of help around him and lots of potential behind him. We'll get a chance to see it this year. The spring game didn't change my mind about Baylor as a 6-8-win team, but this is not a program that's going to flatline without RG3 at quarterback. The receivers are really talented, really deep and really smart. The offensive line should be really good and the running backs will be productive.
"I'm learning. I know my teammates are going to keep helping me. As long as I keep my head in the books and keep understanding all the checks and calls, I'll be fine." - RB Lache Seastrunk, on his day
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
Final West Virginia 40 Maryland 37 Final Kansas 3 Duke 41 Final Arkansas 49 Texas Tech 28 Final Iowa State 20 Iowa 17 Final Minnesota 7 TCU 30 Final UTSA 13 Oklahoma State 43 Final Tennessee 10 4 Oklahoma 34 Final 12 UCLA 20 Texas 17