Lunch links: W.Va. reaction to Big 12 move
May, 2, 2012
By ESPN.com staff | ESPN.com
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
- According to a poll, 41 percent of West Virginians were indifferent to the Big 12 move. Another 40 percent favored the move and 19 percent opposed it. Jared Hunt of the Charleston Daily Mail has the report.
- Eyebrow-raising story from Iowa State. Defensive back Anthony Young believes he was run off by coach Paul Rhoads because of a knee injury he says was mistreated by ISU staff. ISU declined comment. Dan Tracy of the Iowa State Daily explains.
- Transfer? Oklahoma State quarterback J.W. Walsh doesn't sound like he's going anywhere after losing the QB job to freshman Wes Lunt.
- West Virginia had a memorable trip to the Orange Bowl, but it still lost more than $200,000 on the game.
- Former TCU linebacker Tanner Brock looks like he's transferring to UTEP. Brock was one of four TCU players arrested in a campus drug sting this spring. His brother, however, says the reports are mere rumor.
- Kansas State AD John Currie is joining the board of directors at the Fiesta Bowl.
- Oklahoma offensive lineman Austin Woods is now battling Hodgkin's lymphoma.
- Big 12 commissioner Chuck Neinas came away very impressed with the BCS meetings last week, writes colleague Ivan Maisel.
- How will Texas Tech handle its third-tier TV rights? AD Kirby Hocutt discusses the logistics with Don Williams of the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal.
- New Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly weighed in on Charlie Weis' prospects at his new home in Kansas.
- There's nothing left for WVU to do on the field for now. Coach Dana Holgorsen's hoping his players don't make headlines off the field this offseason, writes Mike Casazza of the Charleston Daily Mail.
- Kansas' backfield duo proved the running back position is in good hands after James Sims' suspension, writes Matt Tait of the Lawrence Journal-World.
- WVU defensive end Bruce Irvin talks about his pre-draft arrest and surprising draft night.
- Oklahoma State defensive lineman Calvin Barnett was arrested on four driving charges this week.
- What will the first round in 2013 look like? Plenty of Big 12 talents could hear their name called.
- Texas Tech looks like its adding a QB transfer from New Mexico.