Lunch links: Realignment's flirtatious start
June, 4, 2012
By ESPN.com staff | ESPN.com
- Says one Big 12 school official at the Big 12 meetings about the beginning of realignment: "Well, Missouri was the first to throw their panties on the field." Kirk Bohls of the Austin American-Statesman has that little nugget and more.
- New Big 12 commish Bob Bowlsby opposes paying students a stipend, which seems a little harsh just minutes after announcing the league will hand out a record $19 million to each school. (But maybe that's just me.)
- Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy takes a different approach to discipline in different situations, writes Gina Mizell of The Oklahoman.
- Texas' rough year in the major sports is only a temporary downturn, says AD DeLoss Dodds.
- Kansas coach Charlie Weis' tell-it-like-it-is approach to coaching is already paying off, writes Matt Tait of the Lawrence Journal-World.
- Oklahoma receiver Courtney Gardner starts summer school classes today, but he's already learned a lesson, writes Jason Kersey of The Oklahoman.
- Blair Kerkhoff of the Kansas City Star tackles the issue of the city's identity in the future, now that Missouri is gone to the SEC and the city will host the Big 12 tourney through 2016.
- Bowlsby may soon be a powerful man in a changing world of college football, writes Dennis Dodd of CBSSports.com.
- Texas Tech RB DeAndre Washington says he's about 85 percent recovered from his torn ACL. Good news for the Red Raiders. Better news? He says he'll be at 120 percent in August.
- Texas added a safety to its 2013 class from the same school as blue-chip recruit RB Malcolm Brown.
- Oklahoma co-OC Jay Norvell gave incoming receiver Courtney Gardner a stern warning after an arrest before his arrival in Norman.
- Iowa State coach Paul Rhoads helped raise money for Alzheimer's research with 500 bikers.
- Former WVU star Quincy Wilson joined Dana Holgorsen's staff over the weekend.
- Kansas DC Dave Campo is looking beyond just the numbers, writes Tom Keegan of the Lawrence Journal-World.
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
Final West Virginia 40 Maryland 37 Final Kansas 3 Duke 41 Final Arkansas 49 Texas Tech 28 Final Iowa State 20 Iowa 17 Final Minnesota 7 TCU 30 Final UTSA 13 Oklahoma State 43 Final Tennessee 10 4 Oklahoma 34 Final 12 UCLA 20 Texas 17