Lunch links: Mike Gundy makes amends
August, 8, 2012
By David Ubben | ESPN.com
Big-time job by K-State's Eric Kynard, Olympic silver medalist.
- Mike Gundy inadvertently alienated his quarterback with his "I'm a man, I'm 40!" rant nearly five years ago. Now, after a recent meeting, the two have made amends, writes Jimmie Tramel of the Tulsa World.
- Collin Klein has his faults, but he's nothing short of one of the Big 12's best players, writes Matt Hayes of Sporting News.
- Reputation is carrying West Virginia into the Big 12, but what about everything else? Mike Casazza of the Charleston Daily Mail explains. Camp is getting pretty heated in Morgantown, too.
- Tully Corcoran of FoxSports.com commends Texas coach Mack Brown for his stance on social media.
- It's official: Michigan transfer receiver Darryl Stonum will be eligible for Baylor this season.
- TCU's starting right tackle, James Dunbar, is absent because of academic issues. His future is unknown. The kickers are doing well this camp, though, reports Stefan Stevenson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
- Oklahoma coach Jay Norvell used Cam Newton as an example to keep OU receiver Trey Metoyer motivated at military school, reports Jason Kersey of The Oklahoman.
- Kansas' cavalry along the defensive line has arrived. Rustin Dodd of the Kansas City Star explains why one was an emotional decision, and another was born of business.
- Oklahoma linebacker Tom Wort is miked up.
- Get to know Baylor's roster a little bit better with this solid breakdown.
- Kenny Vaccaro is no pro, but how did he handle the decision to not be a pro? Like a pro, writes Mike Finger of the San Antonio Express-News.
- Oklahoma's offensive line is in trouble, sure, but Berry Tramel of The Oklahoman says that's not what's going to keep this team from winning a title.
- Comprehensive piece here from Andy Staples of SI.com on how television has changed college football.
- Texas Tech players with histories of concussions are being taken special care of this fall, reports Don Williams of the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal.
- Check Charlie Weis' full résumé. He's no stranger to turning around teams, writes Matt Tait of the Lawrence Journal-World. Speaking of turnarounds, suspended running back James Sims is impressing, despite an offseason mistake.
- What's it like to take big hits as a little man?
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
2:00 PM ET Washington State Colorado State 3:30 PM ET 20 Fresno State 25 USC 5:30 PM ET Buffalo San Diego State 9:00 PM ET Tulane Louisiana-Lafayette
6:00 PM ET Pittsburgh Bowling Green 9:30 PM ET Utah State 23 Northern Illinois
2:30 PM ET Marshall Maryland 6:00 PM ET Syracuse Minnesota 9:30 PM ET Brigham Young Washington
12:15 PM ET Rutgers Notre Dame 3:20 PM ET Cincinnati North Carolina 6:45 PM ET Miami (FL) 18 Louisville 10:15 PM ET Michigan Kansas State
11:45 AM ET Middle Tennessee Navy 3:15 PM ET Ole Miss Georgia Tech 6:45 PM ET 10 Oregon Texas 10:15 PM ET 14 Arizona State Texas Tech
12:30 PM ET Arizona Boston College 2:00 PM ET Virginia Tech 17 UCLA 4:00 PM ET Rice Mississippi State 8:00 PM ET 24 Duke 21 Texas A&M
12:00 PM ET Nebraska 22 Georgia 12:00 PM ET UNLV North Texas 1:00 PM ET Iowa 16 LSU 1:00 PM ET 19 Wisconsin 9 South Carolina 5:00 PM ET 5 Stanford 4 Michigan State 8:30 PM ET 15 UCF 6 Baylor
7:30 PM ET 13 Oklahoma State 8 Missouri 8:30 PM ET 12 Clemson 7 Ohio State