Lunch links: Coaches' anonymous talk
August, 9, 2012
By David Ubben | ESPN.com
Good grief, this is painful to see.
- The Big 12's coaches talk anonymously about each other's teams here from Athlon. Nothing very incendiary, but somewhat interesting.
- Don Williams of the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal profiles safety Austin Stewart, who got hit by a bus while on a scooter this offseason. Here's the policy coach Tommy Tuberville has on scooters now. "If you’re 320 pounds you don’t get on a scooter. You get in a car." Classic.
- Dana Holgorsen's new contract? Just more of the price of admission to the Big 12, writes Dave Hickman of the Charleston Gazette. He also breaks down the big task in front of the Mountaineers' cornerbacks.
- The next step for the Mountaineers? Lock up their big-name athletic director, too.
- TCU coach Gary Patterson was worked up about a very bad practice on Wednesday, writes Stefan Stevenson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
- How likely is a breakout season for Texas QB David Ash? Mike Finger of the San Antonio Express-News dug through the history books to try and find out.
- First-year QBs generally do well in the Air Raid offense, so doubt Wes Lunt's ability to rack up big numbers at OSU at your own risk, writes Berry Tramel of The Oklahoman.
- Kirk Bohls of the Austin American-Statesman reminds you that quarterback is far from the only question on Texas' offense.
- Iowa State's Jacques Washington takes you behind the scenes of Iowa State's media day.
- One of Texas Tech's best recruits from the 2012 class is moving positions.
- Can the Big 12 win the national title? And what about OU's recent losses? SI.com's Stewart Mandel weighs in with his latest mailbag.
- Iowa State running back Shontrelle Johnson battled a neck injury and depression. For now, it looks like he's done with both.
- Linebacker Anthony McDonald followed Charlie Weis from Notre Dame to Kansas. It wasn't a tough decision, writes Matt Tait of the Lawrence Journal-World.
- Count OSU coach Mike Gundy among those who wants to see the Pokes wear some orange helmets soon.
- Oklahoma running back Dominique Whaley has come a long way from last season, when he felt everything go numb, writes Guerin Emig of the Tulsa World.
- OSU offensive coordinator Todd Monken isn't shy. Jonathan Rush's torn ACL last year will be helping this year's team immensely, writes John Helsley of The Oklahoman.
- Kansas State's Tyler Lockett is officially back from a scary injury of his own, writes Kellis Robinett of the Kansas City Star.
- Jason Kersey of The Oklahoman takes you inside Sooners' kicker Michael Hunnicutt's offseason work.
- Dustin Garrison is one more running back coming back from a serious injury this offseason, but he's living in the present, writes Mike Casazza of the Charleston Daily Mail.
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
2:00 PM ET Washington State Colorado State 3:30 PM ET 20 Fresno State 25 USC 5:30 PM ET Buffalo San Diego State 9:00 PM ET Tulane Louisiana-Lafayette
6:00 PM ET Pittsburgh Bowling Green 9:30 PM ET Utah State 23 Northern Illinois
2:30 PM ET Marshall Maryland 6:00 PM ET Syracuse Minnesota 9:30 PM ET Brigham Young Washington
12:00 PM ET Rutgers Notre Dame 3:20 PM ET Cincinnati North Carolina 6:45 PM ET Miami (FL) 18 Louisville 10:15 PM ET Michigan Kansas State
11:45 AM ET Middle Tennessee Navy 3:15 PM ET Ole Miss Georgia Tech 6:45 PM ET 10 Oregon Texas 10:15 PM ET 14 Arizona State Texas Tech
12:30 PM ET Arizona Boston College 2:00 PM ET Virginia Tech 17 UCLA 4:00 PM ET Rice Mississippi State 8:00 PM ET 24 Duke 21 Texas A&M
12:00 PM ET Nebraska 22 Georgia 12:00 PM ET UNLV North Texas 1:00 PM ET Iowa 16 LSU 1:00 PM ET 19 Wisconsin 9 South Carolina 5:00 PM ET 5 Stanford 4 Michigan State 8:30 PM ET 15 UCF 6 Baylor
7:30 PM ET 13 Oklahoma State 8 Missouri 8:30 PM ET 12 Clemson 7 Ohio State