Lunch links: Big 12-SEC games?
August, 31, 2012
By David Ubben | ESPN.com
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. I read that one on a can of lemonade. I like to think it applies to life.
- The Big 12 is about to become the lone conference without a championship game.
- Kirk Bohls of the Austin American-Statesman has a long list of bold predictions in advance of Texas' season. Bold indeed.
- How does one get a free lifetime pass to all West Virginia athletics? Zack Harold of the Charleston Daily Mail explains.
- Here we go! Kansas State is hosting Auburn in its third game of 2014, reports Kellis Robinett of the Kasnas City Star. Hat's off, Wildcats. College football is better off having these games. TCU is playing a home and home with LSU in the next two seasons, but coach Gary Patterson doesn't sound too fired up about it.
- Long for the Longhorn Network no longer. The channel has reached an agreement with AT&T and can be viewed on U-Verse now.
- The staff of the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal offers their detailed predictions for Texas Tech's 2012 season. Don Williams offers up his look at the Red Raiders' defensive reinvention.
- Is too much being made of West Virginia running back Dustin Garrison's knee?
- John Werner of the Waco Tribune-Herald revisits some of the memorable SWC matchups between SMU and Baylor.
- Kansas State tight end Andre McDonald is being sued after an incident with dogs. On the surface, this sounds like an incredibly stupid lawsuit, but we'll see as more details emerge.
- Kansas defensive end Toben Opurum is trying to help KU build and escape the label of the nation's worst defense, writes Rustin Dodd of the Kansas City Star.
- Enjoy Saturday's WVU-Marshall rivalry game. It may be the last for a long while, writes Chuck McGill of the Charleston Daily Mail.
- Here's more on former Nebraska quarterback Cody Green, making his second appearance at Iowa State this weekend.
- Iowa State's not doubting their identity entering the season. With their depth at running back, the Cyclones are a run-first team.
- How's Charlie Weis doing? Check back in Year 2.
- Fake football game at TCU today, y'all!
- It's been 353 days since Kansas last had a chance to dance. The Jayhawks are hungry for another reason to celebrate, writes Matt Tait of the Lawrence Journal-World.
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6 Final 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 Final Western Michigan 24 Air Force 38 Final South Alabama 28 Bowling Green 33
Final Marshall 52 Northern Illinois 23 Final Navy 17 San Diego State 16
Final Central Michigan 48 Western Kentucky 49 Final Fresno State 6 Rice 30
Final Illinois 18 Louisiana Tech 35 Final Rutgers 40 North Carolina 21 Final North Carolina State 34 UCF 27
Final Cincinnati 17 Virginia Tech 33 Final 15 Arizona State 36 Duke 31 Final Miami (FL) 21 South Carolina 24 Final/OT Boston College 30 Penn State 31 Final Nebraska 42 24 USC 45
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State