Big 12 did you know: Week 3
September, 14, 2012
By David Ubben | ESPN.com
Time for our weekly collection of fun facts and tidbits, courtesy of ESPN Stats & Information, as well as sports information departments around the Big 12. Thank you, folks. We love you.
Did you know ...
Did you know ...
- Since the beginning of 2011, when West Virginia has two running backs in its offensive formation, Geno Smith has thrown 17 touchdowns and one interception. Just one of those touchdowns came with Smith under center.
- Over the same time period, he's thrown 18 touchdowns and two interceptions out of the Pistol formation.
- When facing five or more pass-rushers, Smith is completing 63 percent of his passes in his last 14 games, including a 6-of-7 performance against Marshall.
- Oklahoma State's seven-game home winning streak is its longest since 1984-85, when it won nine consecutive games.
- Last season, 17.1 percent of kickoffs in college football went for touchbacks. This year, thanks to kicks being moved up five yards, 39.7 percent of kickoffs are going for touchbacks.
- Through two games, David Ash is 7-of-8 passing when facing third downs of six yards or longer. He's converted those downs five times already, and did so just 10 times all of last season.
- Joe Bergeron has run for 152 of his 159 yards inside the tackles, including 4.2 yards after contact per rush.
- Outside the tackles, Malcolm Brown is averaging 6.2 yards per carry for his career.
- Through two games, David Ash has amassed 24.1 percent of his passing yards on screen passes.
- Rice ended an 11-game road losing streak last week by beating Kansas. It's last road win before that? A 32-31 win at North Texas on Sept. 11, 2010.
- Against non-AQ opponents, Collin Klein is averaging nine carries a game on designed runs, and 7.9 yards a carry on those plays.
- Against AQ opponents, Klein averages 18 designed runs a game, and 3.9 yards a carry.
- Inside the pocket, Klein completed 58 percent of his passes a year ago. This year, he's completing 71 percent of his passes inside the pocket.
- Since 2009, Ole Miss' turnover margin is -22, the worst in college football. In that span, Texas is 17-0 when winning the turnover battle.
- TCU has been affiliated with five conferences since 2000. It opens Big 12 play this week.
- The Horned Frogs own the nation's longest win streak, at nine games, and have the nation's longest conference winning streak, at 24 games.
- West Virginia's opponent this week, James Madison, is ranked No. 4 in the FCS Top 25.
- West Virginia is 12-0 all-time against FCS schools.
- Iowa State held Iowa without a touchdown in Iowa City last week. The last time Iowa didn't score a touchdown at home: 1978. Iowa had scored a touchdown in every game dating back to 2005, too.
- Kansas had eight interceptions last year. It has five already after two games.
- TCU has completed 19 consecutive passes, dating back to last year's bowl game win over Louisiana Tech.
- Since 2010, TCU is just the fourth team to complete a game with 10 or more passes without zero incompletions.
- TCU forced Grambling into a three-and-out on 7 of 12 drives (58.3 percent) last week. That's the highest percentage in a game for TCU since October 2008, and the third-highest for a team this season.
- The Big 12's .882 win percentage in nonconference play is the nation's best. Big 12 teams are outscoring opponents by an average score of 48.4-11.9.
- In his last two games, Geno Smith is completing 81 percent of his passes for 10 touchdowns, 730 yards and no interceptions. He's also run for two scores.
- West Virginia's scored at least 69 points in its last two games. The last team to do it for three consecutive games? LSU in 1930.
- James Madison is averaging nearly 50 points in two games this season (48.5 ppg).
- Baylor's Nick Florence set the Big 12 freshman passing record in 2009, when he threw for 426 yards in a win over Missouri. Last week, Oklahoma State's Wes Lunt broke it, with 436 yards in a loss to Arizona.
- The 436 yards were the fourth-most in OSU history.
- When forcing at least two turnovers under Phil Bennett, Baylor is 9-0.
- Big 12 offenses are averaging 6.9 yards per play this season.
- Baylor's scored at least 40 points in five consecutive games.
- Kansas State has scored 50 points in each of the past two games. That hasn't happened since 2002.
- Since 1992, Kansas State is 44-2 in Manhattan when playing in September.
- Oklahoma scored eight rushing touchdowns last week against Florida A&M, the most for any Bob Stoops' coaches team at Oklahoma.
- Texas hasn't played an SEC opponent since losing the national championship game to Alabama at the end of the 2009 season.
- The Longhorns opponent this week, Ole Miss, has lost 14 consecutive games against BCS conference opponents. A 2010 win over Kentucky is the only win in the past three seasons for the Rebels against a BCS conference team.
- Last week, David Ash threw for 221 yards against New Mexico. That was a career high.
- Texas Tech's Seth Doege threw his 10th 300-yard game last week against Texas State.
- Oklahoma is 51-12 outside Big 12 play under Stoops.
- Texas and Ole Miss haven't met since 1966, when the Horns beat the Rebels, 17-0, in the Bluebonnet Bowl.
- Baylor has won eight consecutive games at home, the second-longest streak in school history. The Bears can equal the school record with nine on Saturday, when they face Sam Houston State.
- With his next field goal, Baylor kicker Aaron Jones will be Baylor's all-time scoring leader. He's got 218 points now, trailing Alfred Anderson, with 220.
- Kansas has won its last three meetings with TCU.