Lunch links: Horns' game-winning TD
October, 1, 2012
By David Ubben | ESPN.com
I think I've reached a point in my life where I can tell the difference between nougat and cookie.
- Mike Gundy says he's officially done talking about injuries in any capacity. Truth be told, I don't have a strong feeling on this one from coaches. They can do what they want, and divulging information doesn't seem to be to their advantage. Still, I find the discrepancy across the league fascinating.
- Gundy also thinks Texas fumbled on the game-winning touchdown.
- One of Landry Jones' biggest fans took the K-State loss harder than others. Jenni Carlson of The Oklahoman explains.
- Is it time for a quarterback change at Iowa State? Andrew Logue of the Des Moines Register tackles the question.
- West Virginia's defense left Saturday's game feeling like it lost, writes Allan Taylor of West Virginia Metro News.
- There's only one way to go for Baylor's defense, too, writes John Werner of the Waco Tribune-Herald.
- Believe it or not, Geno Smith still believes he could have done better in a game he threw for 656 yards, eight scores and no turnovers, writes Dave Hickman of the Charleston Gazette.
- Oklahoma State's defense let its backup quarterback down, writes Berry Tramel of The Oklahoman.
- Baylor broke all kinds of records on Saturday, but the loss made them lose a little impact.
- Iowa State punter Kirby Van Der Kamp is a big weapon for the Cyclones, who tend to find themselves in defensive battles.
- Don Williams and Nick Kosmider of the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal have five things we learned from Texas Tech on Saturday night. Tech, by the way, is suddenly playing defense and running the ball successfully.
- Nothing's going to come easy the rest of the way for the Sooners, writes Jason Kersey of The Oklahoman. The reason? The Big 12 looks harder than ever.
- A few ex-Sooners had some tales to tell about their experience with rowdy Texas Tech fans. Stephanie Kuzydym of The Oklahoman has the report.
- Kansas tight end Mike Ragone is leaving no doubt about his happiness in Lawrence, writes Matt Tait of the Lawrence Journal-World.
- A rainy win over SMU didn't tell us much about TCU, writes Stefan Stevenson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
- Stedman Bailey looks back on his ridiculous day against Baylor that got overshadowed.
- A pair of position changes from offense to defense are paying off for Kansas State, writes Ken Corbitt of the Topeka Capital-Journal. K-State doesn't need to worry about being named an underdog this week.
- What does new Big 12 commish Bob Bowlsby miss about his old job? The answer may surprise you. Colleague Ivan Maisel talked to him on Saturday at Baylor-West Virginia.
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
11:00 AM ET Nevada Louisiana-Lafayette 2:20 PM ET Utah State UTEP 3:30 PM ET 22 Utah Colorado State 5:45 PM ET Western Michigan Air Force 9:15 PM ET South Alabama Bowling Green
6:00 PM ET Marshall Northern Illinois 9:30 PM ET Navy San Diego State
12:00 PM ET Central Michigan Western Kentucky 8:00 PM ET Fresno State Rice
1:00 PM ET Illinois Louisiana Tech 4:30 PM ET Rutgers North Carolina 8:00 PM ET North Carolina State UCF
1:00 PM ET Cincinnati Virginia Tech 2:00 PM ET 15 Arizona State Duke 3:30 PM ET Miami (FL) South Carolina 4:30 PM ET Boston College Penn State 8:00 PM ET Nebraska 24 USC
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State