Lunch links: Defining Texas' season
December, 26, 2012
By David Ubben | ESPN.com
Hope you all enjoyed your Christmas, but it's Boxing Day celebration time.
- Great story here from Stefan Stevenson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram on TCU cornerback Jason Verrett's unlikely rise from wanting to transfer to becoming the Big 12's best corner. He also writes about the final days of TCU offensive line stalwart Blaize Foltz.
- Cedric Golden of the Austin American-Statesman has 10 plays that defined Texas' season.
- Baylor RB Lache Seastrunk was asked again about his Heisman proclamation. He's not backing off, writes John Werner of the Waco Tribune-Herald.
- What was it like for KU QB Dayne Crist to watch Notre Dame's dream season from Lawrence, Kansas? Bruce Feldman of CBSSports.com tells you.
- Injuries kept former Oklahoma State star Andrew McGee from living his NFL dreams, but he's an assistant coach in a bowl game just two years later, writes Mike Casazza of the Charleston Daily Mail. He also reports center Joe Madsen will miss the bowl game because of academics. He's only missed one other game in his career, also because of academics.
- KU is bringing in a lot of junior college players, but infrastructure is in place to make sure academics don't become an issue, writes Matt Tait of the Lawrence Journal-World.
- If K-State's going to beat Oregon, the running game will have to be in great shape, writes Ken Corbitt of the Topeka Capital-Journal.
- David Barron of the San Antonio Express-News looks deeper at the object of Texas Tech fans' affection: new coach Kliff Kingsbury.
- Can Oklahoma State's offense keep the same pace in its bowl? Jenni Carlson of The Oklahoman says expect it to slow down a bit.
- Dave Poe of the Parkersburg News and Sentinel tries to sort out: Is West Virginia's athletic glass half full or half empty?
- Kellis Robinett of the Wichita Eagle tells you about the unique features of the Fiesta Bowl's stadium.
- John Werner of the Waco Tribune-Herald looks at the strong beard tradition of the Holiday Bowl. He also tells you about Baylor CB Joe Williams' ability to succeed because of a short memory.
- Andrew Logue of the Des Moines Register writes about the crazy week ahead of Iowa State, who'll have to balance fun and focus at the Liberty Bowl.
- Want to be a head coach? Become Oklahoma's offensive coordinator, writes Jason Kersey of The Oklahoman.
- Can Jake Heaps revolutionize the QB position at KU? Charlie Weis isn't anointing him, but Heaps has been determined, writes Rustin Dodd of the Kansas City Star.
- Minnesota linebacker Keanon Cooper was originally headed to Texas Tech. Now, he'll get to face the Red Raiders, writes Don Williams of the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal.
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
1:00 PM ET Cincinnati Virginia Tech 2:00 PM ET 15 Arizona State Duke 3:30 PM ET Miami (FL) South Carolina 4:30 PM ET Boston College Penn State 8:00 PM ET Nebraska 24 USC
Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6 Final 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 Final Western Michigan 24 Air Force 38 Final South Alabama 28 Bowling Green 33
Final Marshall 52 Northern Illinois 23 Final Navy 17 San Diego State 16
Final Central Michigan 48 Western Kentucky 49 Final Fresno State 6 Rice 30
Final Illinois 18 Louisiana Tech 35 Final Rutgers 40 North Carolina 21 Final North Carolina State 34 UCF 27
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State