Tech's offensive linemen are productive and colorful
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin
One of the biggest strengths of Texas Tech's 7-0 start has been its offensive line. The Red Raiders have allowed only one sack in 343 pass attempts. Tech is tied with Air Force for the fewest sacks allowed this season, even more remarkable considering the Red Raiders have thrown the ball 272 more times than the Falcons this season.
But even neater than that statistic is how each member of the line has earned a nickname from his teammates in the trenches.
Here's a look at them, according to an interview on Lubbock television station KAMC with tackle Rylan Reed.
- Tackle Marlon Winn: Fat Albert, like the old-school cartoon character
- Guard Brandon Carter: Mankind, like the wrestler.
- Center Shawn Byrnes: Kool-Aid, like the refreshing drink's symbol
- Center Stephen Hamby: Mr. Incredible, like the cartoon character
- Guard Louis Vasquez: Super Hero Indian
- Reed: The Incredible Hulk
That unique cast of characters will have to step up in order to help the Red Raiders win their next game Saturday at Kansas, keeping alive their hopes for a first Big 12 South title.