Fresh Big 12 voices from the blogosphere
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin
Some of my blog new brothers have said I'm spending too much time linking back to my old newspaper colleagues. They may have a point, which led me to go surfing for some fresh voices from some locations in the blogosphere might not usually travel. Enjoy the change in perspective.
- Great line from Behind Enemy Lines, which is written by a Missouri fan who lives in Nebraska. The blog isn't buying that Kansas will challenge Missouri for a second-straight season for the North title. "Like Belinda Carlisle and the Go-Go's, KU comes around about once every 10 years or so to make a brief appearance ... then only to disappear into the black bowels of nothingness," it said. "The Squaks were a 2007 byproduct of luck and insanely lucky scheduling. No such luck this year."
My take -- I'm still expecting the Jayhawks to make history as the first team in school history to make back-to-back bowl trips. Will they go to the BCS? No, but it will still be a season of accomplishment, in my opinion.
- Double T Nation breaks down Texas Tech's frustrating tendency to lose a game it was expected to win. Main culprits in those games, the blog says, was an inability to stop the run, a low yards per passing attempt average and too many turnovers.
My take -- Mike Leach's team is doing a better job of staying away from these frustrating games in recent years. But many observers are discounting Tech's mettle as a South Division champion because of those early meltodwns. I'm not one of them.
- Burnt Orange Nation looks at the schedules of the Tennessee Titans and Texas to ascertain when Vince Young's jersey will be retired. Best guess by the blog is for the Longhorns' season opener against Florida International on Aug. 30 -- two days after the Titans' final preseason game at Green Bay.
My take -- Whenever it happens will be a joyous occasion for Longhorns everywhere. But it might be wise to celebrate early in the season rather than late. There might not be much joy in Austin after that Colorado/Oklahoma/Missouri start for the Longhorns in early conference play.
- My old friend Wendell Barnhouse, one of the best college reporters in the business, is now blogging away for the Big 12. Check out his extensive coverage of last week's media days.
My take -- Barnhouse did such a good job of capturing everything, it gave readers the same feeling as if they had listened to 12 coaches during the three-day period -- without the clichés that we always hear.
- Looking to get excited for the opening week of the season? Check out Shaggy Bevo.com's unique time-lapse video of the new construction at Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium.
My take -- It takes only 48 seconds to play. I guarantee it will pump you up for the upcoming season -- particularly for Longhorn fans.
- Chronicles of a K-State Fan provides a neat translation of Coach Ron Prince's remarks at last week's Big 12 Media Days.
My take -- Maybe we should hire this guy along with the ASAP transcription people to appear to at every conference media event?
If any other writers with Big 12-related blogs are out there and feel that have something noteworthy, please drop me a line. I'm curious to see what you have.