Tuesday, May 18, 2010
Huskers vs. Big Ten opponents
By ESPN.com staff
With all of the Big Ten expansion talk, there's still very little concrete anything to hold onto.
While the future might be fluid, the past isn't. So, if Nebraska leaves, here's a look at how it's done historically against each of the 11 Big Ten teams.
A few big-picture points:
vs. Illinois (7-2-1)
- Nebraska holds a winning record against five of the 11 teams in the conference.
- The Huskers haven't played a Big Ten team since 2005, and haven't played a Big Ten team in the regular season since Penn State in 2003.
- Against the Big Ten powers (Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State), Nebraska is 8-12-1.
vs. Indiana (7-9-3)
- Nebraska hasn't played the Illini since 1986, and hasn't lost to them since 1924.
- The two teams played twice in the '80s, and as you might expect, Nebraska rolled to a 52-25 victory in 1985 and a 59-14 victory in 1986.
vs. Iowa (26-12-3)
- The two teams haven't played since 1978, capping off four consecutive wins by the Huskers. In that final win, Nebraska bullied the Hoosiers 69-17.
- Nebraska went 0-9-1 against Indiana from 1941-59.
vs. Michigan (2-3-1)
- Nebraska dominated the Hawkeyes in a pair of meetings in 1999 and 2000. The Huskers won the first meeting 42-7 and the second 42-13.
- The Huskers are 5-1 against Iowa since 1979 after a 33-year break from playing each other.
vs. Michigan State (5-0)
- The two teams met in the 2005 Alamo Bowl and the Huskers won 32-28.
- Michigan beat the Huskers in the 1986 Fiesta Bowl 27-23.
- Nebraska hasn't played in The Big House since 1962, and a move to the Big Ten could end that trend.
vs. Minnesota (20-29-2)
- The 2003 Alamo Bowl is as close as the Spartans have come to beating the Huskers, and Nebraska won 17-3.
- Nebraska's average margin of victory in the five games has been just over 29 points, outscoring Michigan State 181-34.
vs. Northwestern (3-1)
- The teams haven't played since 1990, but the series favored the Huskers heavily in their most recent meetings. Nebraska has won the past 14 matchups against the Golden Gophers, including 48-0 and 56-0 wins in the past two games.
vs. Ohio State (0-2)
- Northwestern would rather forget the last meeting, in the 2000 Alamo Bowl, when the Huskers won 66-17.
- The Wildcats' lone win in the series was a 19-7 victory in 1931.
vs. Penn State (6-7)
- A move to the Big Ten would be a quest for the program's first victory over the Buckeyes, but the two teams haven't met since a pair of losses in Columbus in 1955 and 1956.
vs. Purdue (0-1)
- Nebraska split a home-and-home with the Nittany Lions in 2002 and 2003. The Huskers lost in State College, 40-7, in 2002, before winning in Lincoln, 18-10, in 2003.
- The two teams played in five consecutive seasons from 1979-83, with Nebraska holding a 3-2 advantage, but the teams didn't play again until 2002.
vs. Wisconsin (3-2)
- Not only have the Huskers never beaten the Boilermakers, they've never scored against Purdue. Ouch.
- Worth noting: The teams' only meeting was a 28-0 Purdue win at West Lafayette in 1958.
- The two teams haven't met since 1974, when Wisconsin knocked off the Huskers in Madison, 21-20.
- Nebraska won three consecutive games between 1965 and 1973.
vs. Notre Dame (8-7-1)
- Nebraska swept Notre Dame in an early decade home-and-home in 2000 and 2001. Nebraska won 27-24 in overtime in South Bend before returning to Lincoln in 2001 to beat the Fighting Irish 27-10.
- The last time Notre Dame beat Nebraska was a 44-13 win in Lincoln in 1944.