Thursday, March 5, 2009
Big 12 links: OU players learn Wilson is paralyzed from waist down
By ESPN.com staff
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin
Sad news this morning as Oklahoma wide receiver Corey Wilson fights for his life in an Oklahoma City hospital.
John Hoover of the Tulsa World reports that Oklahoma players received an e-mail earlier this week from coaches telling them that Wilson is paralyzed from the waist down after he was involved in an automobile accident last week.
That sobering information puts everything into perspective as three schools continue spring work across the Big 12 and others are getting ready for the start of practice next week.
Hopefully, there's will be better news for Wilson in the future. We all are praying for his recovery.
Here's some other news from across the conference this morning.
- Boulder Daily Camera columnist Neill Woelk thinks it's "borderline delusional" to consider that Colorado can fill Folsom Field for its spring game.
- Nebraska senior defensive end Barry Turner will be arraigned Thursday on suspicion of assaulting a 20-year-old woman in Lincoln last week, the Lincoln Journal-Star reports.
- Austin American-Statesman columnist Cedric Golden writes that Texas cornerback Chykie Brown appears recovered from an ankle injury that hampered him late last season, although he's still hooked up in a tight battle for a starting job.
- The Lawrence City Commission is mulling an idea of naming Missouri Street for two blocks in honor of former Kansas coach Don Fambrough, Chad Lawhorn and Janet Reid of the Lawrence Journal-World report.
- Oklahoma State offensive line coach Joe Wickline received a promotion to co-offensive coordinator, the Oklahoman's Scott Wright reports.
- Kevin Haskin of the Topeka Capital-Journal reports that the formation of a search committee to name Kansas State's athletic director is a sure sign that things are changing around the school.