Thursday, May 21, 2009
A wish list for my Big 12 Football 2010 game
By ESPN.com staff
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin
I've never really been a big fan of EA Sports' NCAA Football. So Sam Keller's lawsuit that would take away the ability to play realistic teams doesn't really resonate as a cause célèbre for me quite like it does for some of my readers.
But I am amazed at some of the realistic elements that are added to the game.
The Web site Dawg Sports includes seven touches that they wish were incorporated into the game. One has a Big 12 relationship. They wished there were thought bubbles over Mike Leach when the Red Raiders are playing. Here's why:
"Just picture it. The Texas Tech quarterback lofts one into the corner of the end zone for his sixth touchdown pass of the game. The camera pans over to Coach Leach, who is busy weighing several of the lesser known critiques of Keynesian economics, and reflecting on why exactly he loves pineapple salsa so much. You know that's how it really happens in Lubbock."
I like that idea and a few more involving the Big 12. Here's my list of features that should be in the game.
- An enthusiastic Will Muschamp bouncing to his team, hurting himself more than his players after chest-bumping a linebacker after big plays. Or maybe he could have a "Boom ......" element for the biggest of defensive plays.
- Flyovers from rival teams for important-late season games. The whinier the better.
- Sideline histrionics by Kansas coach Mark Mangino after his team scores.
- Texas A&M fans remain standing throughout games at Kyle Field -- even when they are being run out of their own stadium.
- Mascots visible along the sidelines -- whether sitting (Bevo), drinking Dr Pepper (Judge), charging (Ralphie), barking (Reveille), hopping (Lil' Red), riding a motorcycle (Willie) or flapping (Big Jay).
- Pregame introductions like something out of the WWE -- especially for home games involving Nebraska and Texas.
- A Bob Stoops visor toss after a disappointing Oklahoma defensive play.
- Extra enthusiasm in the Colorado coaching module for Dan Hawkins. After a big play, my faux Hawkins could chirp "this ain't intramurals." And before the game, the Hawkins character could demand "10 wins and no excuses."
- In a nod to the old days, when Kansas State players are receiving treatment along the sidelines, the other players would ring around him so the camera couldn't determine the nature of his injury.
- Road players at Folsom Field might be subject to occasional blinding from a laser beam flashed from the stands.
- Problem areas for Texas Tech could be addressed by the addition of players from the stands -- just like Matt "Lynwood" Williams.
- And finally, a BCS tiebreaker in the season mode which would give a game player no idea if his team would advance to a championship game or not -- no matter how its season record played out. That would be really cool -- and realistic, too.
Anybody else have ideas they would like to incorporate into our version of EA Big 12 Football 2010?