Thursday, January 27, 2011
Tallying the Big 12 South returning starters
By ESPN.com staff
God bless you, Phil Steele.
I wasn't planning to tally up the returning starters across the Big 12 until next week, but the college football guru put together a ranking of every team's total returning starters.
For better or worse, this number has quite a bit of impact on people's perceptions of teams entering 2011, so there's no doubt that each team's bottom line has a big influence heading into next year.
We'll close it up with the Big 12 South after taking a look at the North earlier this afternoon. A star signifies that the team's starting quarterback will return.
1. Texas A&M - 19 starters* (9 offense, 8 defense, 2 specialists)
Top returners: QB Ryan Tannehill, WR Jeff Fuller, RB Cyrus Gray/Christine Michael, LB Garrick Williams
2. Oklahoma - 17 starters* (8 offense, 7 defense, 2 specialists)
Top returners: QB Landry Jones, WR Ryan Broyles, LB Travis Lewis, CB Jamell Fleming
3. Oklahoma State - 15 starters* (9 offense, 5 defense, 1 specialist)
Top returners: QB Brandon Weeden, WR Justin Blackmon, S Johnny Thomas, S Markelle Martin
3. Texas - 15 starters* (8 offense, 6 defense, 1 specialist)
Top returners: LB Emmanuel Acho, LB Keenan Robinson, QB Garrett Gilbert, WR Mike Davis
5. Baylor - 14 starters* (8 offense, 5 defense, 1 specialist)
Top returners: QB Robert Griffin III, WR Kendall Wright, DB Chance Casey, LB Elliot Coffey
6. Texas Tech - 13 starters (5 offense, 8 defense, 0 specialists)
Top returners: WR Alex Torres, DB Cody Davis, DB Tre Porter, DB Jarvis Phillips
Are those numbers deceiving for any team on the list?
Any team have a high number of starters that could be overrated entering 2011?