Monday, January 31, 2011
Big 12 performances in the Senior Bowl
By David Ubben
You've seen the Big 12 players in the Senior Bowl up close throughout their careers. You've heard how they measured up to the competition during the week.
There was no Jerrod Johnson in this game, a high-profile player who hadn't seen extended playing time for several weeks, so there's not much else to say, but here's how all of the Big 12 talent in the Senior Bowl did in Saturday's game.
Actual game performances aren't nearly as important as the week of practice that precedes it, so don't put much stock into these numbers as they relate to each player's overall draft stock. However, it's still interesting to see how they do while perhaps wearing their school's helmet for the final time.
- Phil Taylor, DL - started, no stats.
- Danny Watkins, OL - started.
- Jalil Brown, DB - started, made three tackles.
- Nate Solder, OL - started.
- Pierre Allen, DL - one tackle.
- Eric Hagg, DB - one tackle.
- Alex Henery, P - punted six times for an average of 42.8 yards and made an extra point. His longest punt went for 49 yards and one pinned the South team inside its 20-yard line.
- Roy Helu Jr., RB - two carries for 3 yards.
- Mike McNeill, TE - started, no stats.
- Niles Paul, WR - caught one pass for 5 yards, returned a kick 29 yards. Also made a tackle.
- Quinton Carter, DB - no stats.
- Jeremy Beal, DL - made four tackles and one sack for minus-7 yards.
- DeMarco Murray, RB - two carries, minus-4 yards.
- Sam Acho, DL - Named MVP of the South team. Made three tackles, one sack, two tackles for loss and forced a fumble.
- Curtis Brown, DB - started, made a tackle.
- Von Miller, LB - started, named the game's defensive MVP. Four tackles on the day, including two tackles for loss.