Wednesday, June 8, 2011
Texas leads the way in ESPNU 150
By David Ubben
ESPN Recruiting has released its annual ESPNU 150, the nation's top 150 recruits. No more watch lists. No more guesses. The list can shift, but here's how the full list looks.
Committments are non-binding, and players won't be able to sign letters of intent until next February, but upon the list's release today, here's who is committed where:
And which players are committed where in the Big 12.
Texas (9 of 17 commits)
Texas A&M (3 of 22 commits)
- No. 8: Johnathan Gray, RB (Aledo, Texas)
- No. 13: Malcom Brown, DT (Brenham, Texas)
- No. 20: Cayleb Jones, WR (Austin, Texas)
- No. 26: Connor Brewer, QB (Scottsdale, Ariz.)
- No. 35: Thomas Johnson, WR (Dallas, Texas)
- No. 48: Kennedy Estelle, OT (Pearland, Texas)
- No. 56: Peter Jinkens, LB (Dallas, Texas)
- No. 79: Bryson Echols, CB (Desoto, Texas)
- No. 86: Alex Norman, DT (Dallas, Texas)
- Texas commit OG Curtis Riser was also on the "just missed" list.
Oklahoma (2 of 7 commits)
Texas Tech (2 of 8 commits)
Oklahoma State (1 of 6 commits)
Notes from the group:
- Texas' nine commits are the most in the nation, leading Florida State (7) and Alabama (6). Texas A&M, with its three commits, is tied for seventh-most in the nation.
- Oklahoma and Texas Tech's two commits have them tied for 12th most.
- Of the ESPNU 150, 82 still remain uncommitted with about eight months to go before signing day.
- Counting up the members of the list by state, Florida leads the way with 28 natives. Twenty of the players on the list call Texas home.
- Six positions had more than 10 players on the list. Offensive tackles (21) were the largest group, followed by athletes and receivers (19), defensive tackles (16), defensive ends (14) and outside linebackers (11).