Wednesday, July 13, 2011
Big 12 lands 14 on Lombardi Award list
By ESPN.com staff
The Lombardi Award has released its preseason watch list, and 14 players from the Big 12 cracked it. Here they are:
- Levy Adcock, OL, Oklahoma State
- Lonnie Edwards, OL, Texas Tech
- Stephen Good, OL, Oklahoma
- Ben Habern, OL, Oklahoma
- Tony Jerod-Eddie, DL, Texas A&M
- Luke Joeckel, OL, Texas A&M
- Shaun Lewis, LB, Oklahoma State
- Travis Lewis, LB, Oklahoma
- Brad Madison, DL, Missouri
- Kelechi Osemele, OL, Iowa State
- Kheeston Randall, DL, Texas
- Keenan Robinson, LB, Texas
- Jacquies Smith, DL, Missouri
- Garrick Williams, LB, Texas A&M
It's a big list, and it's preceded by the best definition of any award in sports, one I'm always reminded of each fall and December.
Got a notepad? Here are the eligbility requirements:
Eligibility for the Rotary Lombardi Award is limited to down linemen, end-to-end, either on offense of defense, who set up no farther than 10 yards to the left or right of the ball, and linebackers who set up no father than five yards deep from the line of scrimmage. All candidates also must be eligible to play college sports under the rules and regulations of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA).
Wonderful. The Lombardi Award is also my favorite trophy among the college football awards. Good gracious, granite. (I think.)
The Big 12 has won two of the past three Lombardi Awards, courtesy of Nebraska's Ndamukong Suh and Texas' Brian Orakpo. Suh was Nebraska's fifth winner, but Tommie Harris in 2003 gave Oklahoma its third winner, tied with Texas for the most of any current Big 12 team.