Monday, July 25, 2011
Time to rank the Big 12's top 25 players
By ESPN.com staff
It's that time again. If you missed our postseason poll, here's a look back, but tomorrow, we'll kick off our list of the top 25 players in the Big 12 entering the 2011 season.
Should your team's talents be on it?
Here's my rubric:
- My postseason list takes into account only the past year. My preseason list factors in the player's entire career. That will cause a few shifts. As such, no juco transfers or freshmen will be on this list. We're not going down that road.
- This is not a list of the top 25 NFL prospects in the league. Pro potential is not a factor.
- The way I go about this list is as if I were drafting the best overall talents in the league. Each player's personal role or meaning to his team is irrelevant. This is not a "most valuable" list. It's the Big 12's best players.
- Sometimes stats tell the whole story. Other times, they don't. Player X may have had more tackles or more yards or interceptions than Player Y, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll be higher than him on the list.
- For the first time ever, unlike the postseason list, Nebraska and Colorado players won't be listed. Obviously.
So, that's it.
Looking back on the postseason list, 17 of the 25 players are no longer playing college football or in the Big 12. That means you'll see lots and lots of new faces on the top 25.
Want to make a case for your favorite player? Here you go. We'll start with No. 25 on Tuesday and reach No. 1 on Monday of game week.