Thursday, August 11, 2011
Ranking the Top 25 Big 12 players: No. 13
By ESPN.com staff
The official list of the Big 12's top 25 players is locked away in a vault in an undisclosed location, but we're revealing the list day by day here on the blog. Here's a refresher on my exact criteria.
No. 13: Kelechi Osemele, LT, Iowa State
2010 numbers: Helped Iowa State's offense run for 1,715 yards and 15 touchdowns, and throw for 2,091 yards and 14 touchdowns while giving up 32 sacks.
Most recent ranking: Osemele was unranked in our postseason list of the Big 12's top 25 players.
Making the case for Osemele: I would argue that of all the players on my top 25, Osemele has the largest number of Big 12 fans who have never heard of him. Which is a shame. (It's pronounced "kuh-LEH-chee oh-SEM-lee, by the way).
But, alas, such is life as both an offensive lineman and an Iowa State Cyclone, neither of whom are exactly media darlings.
Osemele, however, is a physical lineman that possesses great size for his position (6-foot-6, 347 pounds) and has extremely quick feet that make him one of the most underrated players in the league. He's been a two-time All-Big 12 honoree and will be a fourth-year starter on the Cyclones offensive line in 2011.
He'll be a star once again, and a player likely to hear his name called in the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft.
The rest of the list:
- No. 14: David Garrett, CB, Kansas State
- No. 15: Coryell Judie, CB, Texas A&M
- No. 16: Markelle Martin, S, Oklahoma State
- No. 17: Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor
- No. 18: Elvis Fisher, LT, Missouri
- No. 19: Keenan Robinson, LB, Texas
- No. 20: Tony Jefferson, S, Oklahoma
- No. 21: Shaun Lewis, LB, Oklahoma State
- No. 22: Kenny Stills, WR, Oklahoma
- No. 23: Brad Madison, DE, Missouri
- No. 24: Emmanuel Acho, LB, Texas
- No. 25: Zaviar Gooden, LB, Missouri