Monday, August 15, 2011
Lunch links: Dan Beebe talks Big 12 future
By ESPN.com staff
Beautiful day in College Station ...
- Dan Beebe told USA Today's Steve Wieberg that the Big 12 is not in a holding pattern, and has plans for alternative situations. He adds, however, that the Big 12 is intent on having 10 members.
- Andy Staples at SI.com reminds us that A&M must follow the process of joining the SEC, and makes sure folks realize there are no good guys or bad guys in realignment. Only programs looking out for their own interests.
- Colleague Ivan Maisel wonders if the SEC tapping the brakes on admitting the Aggies will keep them from making a decision that, if history is any guide, will be a train wreck.
- A Texas A&M official says the ball is officially in the Aggies' court regarding an exit from the Big 12, reports Brent Zwerneman of the San Antonio Express-News.
- The problem with realignment, according to CBSSports.com's Tony Barnhart? There's no commissioner looking out for the good of the game. I agree 1,000 percent.
- Kirk Bohls of the Austin American-Statesman wonders if A&M athletic director Bill Byrne is being fazed out by the school's administrators. That and more in his nine things and one crazy prediction column.
- Texas Tech AD Kirby Hocutt met with reporters on Sunday and admitted he's disappointed with the Big 12's apparent return to instability.
- Austin Meek of the Topeka Capital-Journal says it's impossible to take the Big 12's word when it comes to stability.
- Texas A&M would be getting off a treadmill and stepping onto an even playing field in the SEC, writes Gil LeBreton of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
- Kansas has released the first episode of its training camp reality show, "The Gridion."
- Texas A&M would be walking into a buzz saw in the SEC, but Gregg Doyel at CBSSports.com is proud of it for having the gumption to do it.
- Oklahoma in the SEC is just not happening, writes Berry Tramel of The Oklahoman.
- K-State QB Collin Klein is setting an example for his teammates as part of his growth into a leader, writes Kellis Robinett of the Kansas City Star.
- Texas A&M linebacker Caleb Russell played against Baylor last year while dealing with personal tragedy, writes David Harris of the Bryan-College Station Eagle.
- Look out for Ricky Bobby on Kansas' offensive line, writes Gary Bedore of the Lawrence Journal-World.
- Missouri looks like it's moving full-speed ahead with an Internet distribution model for its third-tier broadcasts, reports Mike DeArmond of the Kansas City Star.