Friday, August 19, 2011
Ranking the Top 25 Big 12 players: No. 7
By ESPN.com staff
The official list of the Big 12's top 25 players is locked away in a vault in an undisclosed location, but we're revealing the list day by day here on the blog. Here's a refresher on my exact criteria.
We're in the top 10 now, so it might get a bit heated.
Got beef? Let's squash it.
No. 7: Jeff Fuller, WR, Texas A&M
2010 numbers: Caught 72 passes for 1,066 yards and 12 touchdowns.
Most recent ranking: Fuller was ranked No. 17 in our postseason list of the Big 12's top 25 players.
Making the case for Fuller: Fuller had tons of promise in 2009 but missed a handful of games with a broken bone in his leg and his numbers were pedestrian.
But he finally broke through in 2010 with the first 1,000-yard receiving season in school history and established himself as one of the top five receivers in the game heading into 2011. The 6-foot-4, 220-pounder is the best red zone target in the league and maybe the nation. No one's better at the fade route in tight spots.
Fuller turned down the NFL for another year in College Station, and will try to improve his top-end speed and route-running. If he's able to make big strides in both areas, expect a 1,200-yard season and a possible first-round selection in next April's draft.
The rest of the list:
- No. 8: Travis Lewis, LB, Oklahoma
- No. 9: Cyrus Gray, RB, Texas A&M
- No. 10: Jake Knott, LB, Iowa State
- No. 11: T.J. Moe, WR, Missouri
- No. 12: Jamell Fleming, CB, Oklahoma
- No. 13: Kelechi Osemele, LT, Iowa State
- No. 14: David Garrett, CB, Kansas State
- No. 15: Coryell Judie, CB, Texas A&M
- No. 16: Markelle Martin, S, Oklahoma State
- No. 17: Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor
- No. 18: Elvis Fisher, LT, Missouri
- No. 19: Keenan Robinson, LB, Texas
- No. 20: Tony Jefferson, S, Oklahoma
- No. 21: Shaun Lewis, LB, Oklahoma State
- No. 22: Kenny Stills, WR, Oklahoma
- No. 23: Brad Madison, DE, Missouri
- No. 24: Emmanuel Acho, LB, Texas
- No. 25: Zaviar Gooden, LB, Missouri
Any guesses for our top six?