Tuesday, September 6, 2011
Lunch links: Interpreting Big 12's silence
By ESPN.com staff
How long before Cal or UCLA debut their state flag-inspired unis?
- Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops says it seems like super conferences are the way the world is going.
- Bud Withers of the Seattle Times looks at the attrition in Gonzaga's basketball program, focusing on Demetri Goodson, who left to play football at Baylor.
- When Texas A&M leaves the Big 12, it will set off a chain reaction that kills the league, writes Jimmy Burch of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
- Oklahoma's Tom Wort had a memorable and solid night while honoring Austin Box by wearing his number, writes Guerin Emig of the Tulsa World.
- Blair Kerkhoff of the Kansas City Star has a collection of what Big 12 coaches think about realignment.
- Arizona and Oklahoma State will tangle on Thursday night for the second time in less than a year, and it might become even more common, writes Jenni Carlson of The Oklahoman.
- Iowa State's game against Iowa on Saturday in Ames is sold out.
- Matt Tait of the Lawrence Journal-World looks back on Kansas' win over McNeese State and hands out a few awards.
- Bryan Burwell of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch is troubled by the silence from the Big 12 offices with the league's demise looming, but this time around, Missouri looks like it has options.
- Lee Roy Selmon will have memorial services in both Florida and Oklahoma.
- Berry Tramel of The Oklahoman has more on why Oklahoma running back Dominique Whaley's rise is even harder to believe.
- Don't blame James Franklin for the offensive struggles in Week 1, writes Vahe Gregorian of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Interesting stuff here, especially from T.J. Moe regarding what happened on Franklin's interception that set up Miami's only score.
- Mike DeArmond of the Kansas City Star has some insight from the Tigers on what makes cornerback E.J. Gaines special.
- Paul Lukas, aka Uni Watch, was no fan of Oklahoma State's gray duds this weekend.