Friday, October 7, 2011
How does TCU stack up vs. the Big 12?
By ESPN.com staff
We've done this plenty in the past for teams like Texas A&M and the SEC, Missouri and the Big Ten and Nebraska and the Big Ten, so it's time to take a look at the Big 12's possible new member.
TCU has been officially invited by the Big 12, and its board of trustees is expected to meet next week to make its decision. The Horned Frogs program has seen tremendous growth under Gary Patterson over the past decade, so keep that in mind, but here's how TCU stacks up historically against the Big 12.
Iowa State (3-0)
- TCU and Baylor split a home-and-home series in 2010 and 2011, but the former Southwest Conference rivalry goes all the way back to 1899. TCU didn't score until the 11th time the teams met, but the rivalry has been largely equal over the past three decades.
- Iowa State last lost to TCU in the Houston Bowl in 2005, but the Horned Frogs won the first two meetings in 1995 and 1998 by double digits.
Kansas State (3-2)
- The two teams haven't met since 1997, but the Jayhawks won or tied six of the seven meetings since 1963.
- Kansas State won the first two meetings in 1922 and 1983; TCU won the three most recent meetings from 1984-86.
- The two teams split a home-and-home in 1989 and 1990, and the games were decided by just five total points.
Oklahoma State (9-11-2)
- The two teams have met just twice since 1998, but one was memorable. Oklahoma's famed 38-game home winning streak is currently the nation's longest, but TCU was the last team to beat the Sooners in Norman. They did it in the 2005 season opener, 17-10.
- TCU won three of four meetings from 1990-93, but the Cowboys and Horned Frogs haven't met since.
Texas Tech (23-28-3)
- The Longhorns got the best of TCU in lopsided fashion back in the SWC days. TCU beat Texas 23-14 in 1992, but it was the only victory for the Horned Frogs in the series from 1968-2007, which spanned 28 meetings.
BONUS ROUND: Texas A&M (29-56-7)
- The two teams recently canceled a non-conference series; the Horned Frogs won 12-3 in 2006, the last meeting between them. TCU won just three of the final 14 meetings as SWC opponents.
TOTAL RECORD: 157-223-24
- Texas A&M beat the Horned Frogs in their last 22 meetings as members of the SWC, and again in the GalleryFurniture.com Bowl back in 2001.