Friday, December 2, 2011
Big 12 did you know: Week 14
By ESPN.com staff
We're in the final week of the season for college football before bowl games get started, but there's time for one more round of fun facts. As always, these come courtesy of ESPN Stats & Information and various sports information departments across the Big 12.
- Baylor is the only team in FBS history to win four consecutive games in a single season while also allowing at least 30 points in all four of those games.
- With a victory over Oklahoma State, Oklahoma would break a tie with Alabama for the most 10-win seasons in program history, with 32.
- The past five weeks, only two teams have allowed fewer yards per game than Texas: Alabama and LSU.
- Oklahoma has beaten Oklahoma State by 30 points or more 26 times. OSU has beaten OU by 30 points or more once.
- Oklahoma receivers dropped seven passes last week against Iowa State, including two in the red zone. That was the most in any game for the Sooners over the past two seasons.
- Kansas State has 13 turnovers this season. None has come in the red zone.
- Texas is 6-0 in Waco under Mack Brown. The Longhorns have allowed a combined 34 points in those games, with three shutouts.
- Texas is 0-4 this season against the current BCS top 25.
- Oklahoma's eight consecutive wins in Bedlam is the longest streak in the rivalry since the Sooners won 15 in a row from 1977-1991.
- Oklahoma has faced two top-10 passing offenses this season; it gave up 450 yards passing in both games — and lost both. Oklahoma State, at No. 2, is ranked higher than Baylor and Texas Tech's passing offenses.
- Texas is 0-of-9 on third-down passes in the red zone in conference play. If they don't complete such a pass against Baylor on Saturday, the Longhorns would be the first Big 12 team to go without a completion in that scenario in eight seasons.
- Texas is still the nation's only team that hasn't allowed a touchdown pass of longer than 20 yards. No other team has allowed fewer than two.
- Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III has thrown 22 touchdown passes this season longer than 25 yards.
- Oklahoma State had five touchdown drives that lasted less than a minute against Baylor this season. That's tied for the most of any team in any game this year. The Cowboys lead the nation with 20.
- Since Oklahoma lost receiver Ryan Broyles to injury, Sooners quarterback Blake Bell has six touchdowns on 11 red-zone rush attempts, the highest percentage of any player in FBS.
- Since losing Broyles, Oklahoma quarterback Landry Jones has zero touchdowns on 13 red-zone passing attempts.
- Before Broyles' injury, Jones was 35-of-64 in the red zone for 15 touchdowns and no interceptions. He's 4-of-13 since for no touchdowns and no interceptions.
- Oklahoma State has clinched a share of its first conference title since 1976.
- This is the third consecutive year OSU has been ranked higher than OU when the teams met. Before 2009, it had only happened twice.
- Oklahoma State and Texas are the only two Big 12 schools to beat Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops' teams in consecutive seasons.
- On 41 scrambles this year, Griffin has 17 runs of 10 yards or longer and averages 9.1 YPC. On 84 called runs, he has 13 runs longer than 10 yards and averages 5.1 YPC.
- Griffin has completed 42 passes longer than 15 yards this season, and 19 have been to Kendall Wright. He's completing 65 percent of his attempts targeting Wright longer than 15 yards for eight touchdowns and no interceptions.
- Baylor's five Big 12 wins this year are the most in school history.
- Last week's victory over Texas Tech was Art Briles' 12th at Baylor in four seasons. In the previous 12 years, Baylor had 11 Big 12 wins under four coaches.
- Saturday, Baylor could beat Texas in consecutive seasons for the first time since 1991-92.
- Iowa State leads the series with Kansas State 49-41-4, but Kansas State is 17-4 in the past 21 meetings.
- In Iowa State running back Jeff Woody's first 18 games, he had 254 yards rushing. He has 212 in his past four.
- Kansas kick returner D.J. Beshears set the single-season school record for kick-return yardage, with 1,014 yards.
- Kicker Michael Hunnicutt is the first Sooner in history with two games of at least four made field goals.
- The last time Kansas State won 10 games in a season was in 2003, when it won its last Big 12 title. The Wildcats enter Saturday's game against Iowa State at 9-2.
- Oklahoma has pitched second-half shutouts four times this season.
- Missouri is 16-4 in November since the 2007 season.
- The Tigers scored 14 in the third quarter against Kansas last week. It had scored 40 third-quarter points all season prior to that game.
- Safety Blake Gideon is one of just three Texas players ever to start 50 games.
- Texas Tech's 18-year streak of bowl eligibility ends with the current 5-7 season.
- Last week against Baylor, Red Raiders receiver Eric Ward set a single-game school record with 16 catches.