Tuesday, January 3, 2012
Setting the stage for the Cotton Bowl
By ESPN.com staff
Monday night's Fiesta Bowl was fun, but it's time to move on.
We'll have more coverage of the Cotton Bowl as the week progresses, and I'll be there, but here's a few fun facts via ESPN Stats & Information to get you started.
No. 6 Arkansas and No. 8 Kansas State will go head to head on Friday night in Cowboys Stadium.
- The BCS National Championship Game and Fiesta Bowl are the only other games featuring teams with single-digit rankings.
- Arkansas is 3-0 in Cowboys Stadium, with all three wins coming over Texas A&M. The Aggies, by the way, are 0-4 in the stadium.
- Kansas State is plus-13 in turnover margin, which ranks sixth nationally.
- This year, Arkansas strung together consecutive 10-win seasons for the first time since 1988-89.
- Kansas State quarterback Collin Klein has converted 32 first downs by rush, more than any player in the FBS.
- He's thrown 12 touchdown passes and ran for 26 scores, accounting for 84.4 percent of his team's touchdowns. That's the highest percentage of any player in the FBS, just ahead of USC's Matt Barkley.
- With one more touchdown, Klein will tie Navy's Ricky Dobbs at 27 for the most rushing touchdowns by a quarterback in FBS history. He's one shy of Ricky Williams' Big 12 record, too.
- He's first nationally in rushing TDs from inside two yards (14), inside five yards (21) and inside 10 yards (23).
- Kansas State ranks fourth in the Big 12 by allowing just 33 plays longer than 25 yards this season, but 11 came in losses to Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.
- K-State has scored a touchdown in 29-of-33 goal-to-go situations this season. That percentage (87.9) is 13th-highest nationally.