Tuesday, February 28, 2012
Ranking the Big 12's top 25 players: No. 11
By ESPN.com staff
Our countdown of the Big 12's top 25 players continues. The official list is locked away in a vault in an undisclosed location, but we're revealing a new member of the list every day.
Here's a quick rundown on my criteria for this list.
No. 11: Terrance Ganaway, RB, Baylor
2011 numbers: Carried the ball 250 times for 1,547 yards and 21 touchdowns. Caught six passes for 52 yards and a touchdown.
Most recent ranking: Ganaway was unranked in our preseason list of the top 25 players.
Making the case for Ganaway: After Ganaway bulled his way for a physical 120 yards against TCU in the season opener, I said it was time to line up the 240-pounder for 1,200 yards in 2012. Looks like I was way off. The big man surpassed anyone's expectations entering the season and won the Big 12 rushing title with a huge year in his only season as the team's featured back.
No one quite knew who would replace 1,200-yard rusher Jay Finley from the 2010 team, but Ganaway proved more than capable, rushing for 200 yards in three games and 186 in a win against Missouri. He capped his career with a five-touchdown performance in the bowl win over Washington, stealing the show from Heisman winner Robert Griffin III. He carried the team when RG3 sat out most of a win over Texas Tech with a head injury, rushing for 246 yards and keeping the Red Raiders at an arm's length.
He had the big games, but his season was marked with consistency, which led to his huge season total on the ground. He was held to fewer than 89 yards just four times all season, but scored 11 touchdowns in the final four games of the season.
No surprise: those four games were part of a six-game winning streak to end the season for the Bears.
The rest of the list:
- No. 12: Jake Knott, LB, Iowa State
- No. 13: Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma
- No. 14: Henry Josey, RB, Missouri
- No. 15: Ryan Swope, WR, Texas A&M
- No. 16: Emmanuel Acho, LB, Texas
- No. 17: Kelechi Osemele, LT, Iowa State
- No. 18: Joseph Randle, RB, Oklahoma State
- No. 19: Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State
- No. 20: Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
- No. 21: Grant Garner, C, Oklahoma State
- No. 22: Ronnell Lewis, LB, Oklahoma
- No. 23: Cyrus Gray, RB, Texas A&M
- No. 24: Nigel Malone, CB, Kansas State
- No. 25: Damontre Moore, LB, Texas A&M