Tuesday, February 28, 2012
Checking on the Big 12 at the NFL combine
By David Ubben
Another day down at the NFL combine.
You'll need Insider to see this post from Steve Muench, but here are a few snippets from our team on the ground in Indianapolis:
West Virginia's Bruce Irvin ran a 4.43-second 40-yard dash, which is faster than most outside linebackers, let alone defensive ends. That's good for Irvin, who projects as a pass-rushing outside linebacker. He's undersized (6-3, 245) and lacks the power to anchor against the run as an end. He would have been better off working with the linebackers at the combine because he is a developmental prospect, and it showed in his footwork when he dropped.
Obviously, I didn't get a big chance to see Irvin from week to week in the Big East, but that 40 time is nuts. Reminds me of ... wait for it ... Von Miller?
What about another Big 12 pass rusher you know a bit better?
Oklahoma State DE Jamie Blatnick isn't as explosive or athletic as some of the other prospects, and his arms are as short as Ingram's, so there are some red flags. On the other hand, Blatnick performed well during the drill. His hands were active and violent during bag work while he did a good job of staying low in his backpedal when asked to drop.
Blatnick's a tough guy, but like Muench said, doesn't have the jaw-dropping measurables of some other guys we've seen in this league or guys at the combine this week.
He was productive, though, and technique will take you a long way in the NFL. Blatnick isn't lacking in athleticism necessarily, he just doesn't wow you.
Now, time for a few results from Monday at the combine:
Najee Goode, West Virginia
Ronnell Lewis, Oklahoma
- 40-yard dash: 4.66 seconds (sixth among inebackers)
Tank Carder, TCU
- 40-yard dash: 4.68 seconds (T-8 among linebackers)
- 225-pound bench press: 36 reps (most among linebackers -- by four reps)
Emmanuel Acho, Texas
- 40-yard dash: 4.69 seconds (11th among linebackers)
- 225-pound bench press: 19 reps
Travis Lewis, Oklahoma
- 40-yard dash: 4.73 seconds (14th among linebackers)
- 225-pound bench press: 24 reps (T-10th among linebackers
Keenan Robinson, Texas
- 40-yard dash: 4.88 seconds
- 225-pound bench press: 22 reps (14th among linebackers)
- 225-pound bench press: 27 reps (T-6th among linebackers)