Wednesday, May 16, 2012
How does FSU stack up vs. the Big 12?
By David Ubben
What's that you hear? The faint whispers of realignment rumormongering?
Oh, we all hear them. And when they happen, it's time to compare the prospective team to its possible future home.
We always do these for the Big 12, and I definitely always learn a thing or two. I hope you do, too.
Here's our history:
So, these Seminoles are a possibility for the Big 12? Some don't see favorable outcomes for FSU if it moved to the Big 12, and really, all-time records only tell us so much, but here's how Florida State has matched up with the rest of the Big 12.
- Florida State is 1-2 all-time vs. the Bears, but the last meeting was in 1974.
- Florida State is 1-1 all-time vs. the Cyclones.
- The Seminoles narrowly edged Seneca Wallace and ISU in the season opener in Kansas City, 38-31. FSU led 31-14 at half, but Wallace led ISU back to within 38-31 early in the fourth quarter.
- Florida State is 5-2 all-time vs. Kansas, but haven't met the Jayhawks since 1993.
- In that 1993 game, FSU tromped the Jayhawks, 47-0, on the way to its first national title.
- Florida State is 3-0 all-time against the Wildcats, but haven't met them since 1977. In Manhattan, that equates to the year 12 B.S. (Before Snyder).
- Florida State is an eye-popping 1-6 all-time vs. Oklahoma.
- The Sooners beat FSU 13-2 in the 2000 Orange Bowl to win the national title.
- Last year, Oklahoma marched into Tallahassee and won, 23-13, with ESPN's College Gameday in attendance.
- Florida State is 3-1 all-time vs. OSU, but haven't met the Cowboys since 1985.
- Florida State won that game, the 1985 Gator Bowl, 34-23.
- Texas and Florida State have never played. I blame Dan Beebe.
- Florida State is 1-2 all-time vs. TCU, but the two teams haven't met since waaaaay back in 1965. I was only eight years old that day, but I remember bits and pieces of the game. FSU won the season opener in Fort Worth, 7-3.
- Florida State is 4-1 all-time vs. Texas Tech.
- The two teams haven't met since 1987. FSU won that game, a season opener in Tallahassee, 40-16.
Overall record: 22-15
- Florida State is an impressive 3-0 vs. West Virginia.
- The two teams last met in 2009, and FSU beat the Mountaineers 33-21 in the Gator Bowl.
- The Seminoles and WVU were scheduled to meet in 2012, but WVU canceled the game to make room for a new nine-game conference schedule in the Big 12, instead of the seven-game conference schedule used in the Big East.