Wednesday, May 23, 2012
Phil Steele dishes out All-Big 12 team
By ESPN.com staff
College football guru Phil Steele is previewing his must-read offseason magazine, and with it, he's releasing his all-conference and All-America teams.
Here's who he slated as his first-team All-Big 12 squad:
QB: Landry Jones, Oklahoma
RB: Joseph Randle, Oklahoma State
RB: Malcolm Brown, Texas
WR: Tavon Austin, West Virginia
WR: Kenny Stills, Oklahoma
WR: Stedman Bailey, West Virginia
TE: Jordan Najvar, Baylor
C: Ben Habern, Oklahoma
OL: Lane Taylor, Oklahoma State
OL: Gabe Ikard, Oklahoma
OL: LaAdrian Waddle, Texas Tech
OL: Cyril Richardson, Baylor
- I'd probably go with Geno Smith ahead of Jones, but it's close. You could definitely make a compelling case for both.
- I'd also lean more toward Terrance Williams at Baylor for that third receiver spot ahead of Stills. Stills' upside is still really high, but again, it's close between those two.
- Good grief, the tight end spot in the Big 12 is a rough. Navjar is a good selection. Travis Tannahill at Kansas State could grab that spot, too. You're almost better off picking a sixth offensive lineman or a fullback like Trey Millard at Oklahoma, who's more valuable than any of the league's tight ends.
DL: Alex Okafor, Texas
DL: Stansly Maponga, TCU
DL: Jackson Jeffcoat, Texas
DL: Jamarkus McFarland, Oklahoma
LB: Jake Knott, Iowa State
LB: Tom Wort, Oklahoma
LB: A.J. Klein, Iowa State
LB: Arthur Brown, Kansas State
CB: Nigel Malone, Kansas State
CB: Brodrick Brown, Oklahoma State
S: Kenny Vaccaro, Texas
S: Tony Jefferson, Oklahoma
P: Quinn Sharp, Oklahoma State
K: Quinn Sharp, Oklahoma State
PR: Tavon Austin, West Virginia
KR: Tyler Lockett, Kansas State
- No complaints among the specialists, but I'd definitely have kept a more traditional three linebackers. You could afford to leave Tom Wort off that list. Not so with the other three.
- After a sad group of cornerbacks in 2011, the position looks pretty loaded this year. There's no fewer than five guys in my book who deserve strong consideration and probably a spot on the first team. It's too bad there are only two spots. Clearly, Malone and Brown are deserving, but so are Justin Gilbert, Carrington Byndom and Quandre Diggs.
- Safeties are both loaded. Maybe two of the best defenders in the league.
Here's who Steele tabbed as All-Americans, too.
- Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma
- Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
- Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State
- Quinn Sharp, K, Oklahoma State
- Kenny Stills, WR, Oklahoma
- Stedman Bailey, WR, West Virginia
- Lane Taylor, OL, Oklahoma State
- Quinn Sharp, P, Oklahoma State
- Tyler Lockett, KR, Kansas State
- Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
- Joseph Randle, RB, Oklahoma State
- Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor
- Gabe Ikard, OL, Oklahoma
- Jackson Jeffcoat, DE, Texas
- A.J. Klein, LB, Iowa State
- Tony Jefferson, S, Oklahoma
- Tavon Austin, KR, West Virginia