Monday, July 9, 2012
Lunch links: Money talks
By ESPN.com staff
Am I the only one here watching Food Network Star? Consider me firmly #TeamJustin.
- Blair Kerkhoff of the Kansas City Star looks at the financial uptick from Kansas, Kansas State and Mizzou in the face of a nationwide economic downturn.
- Former Oklahoma State running back Herschel Sims says he's transferring to Lamar in Beaumont, Texas, reports Gina Mizell of The Oklahoman.
- Rustin Dodd of the Kansas City Star diagrams the story of the financial risk Kansas took by getting rid of Turner Gill, and its road back to a healthy program.
- John Helsley of The Oklahoman rewinds and reminisces on one of the best coaching hires in Big 12 history, when Mike Gundy brought Dana Holgorsen aboard.
- Paul Myerberg of PreSnap Read offers a comprehensive breakdown of Texas Tech, noting that the hiring of Tommy Tuberville seems drenched in irony now.
- Former Oklahoma national championship winner Jamelle Holieway is trying to earn back his good name, and Berry Tramel of The Oklahoman takes you inside the journey.
- Brandon Weeden is in town, but former Longhorns QB Colt McCoy told Randy Riggs of the Austin American-Statesman that he wants to stay with the Cleveland Browns. Riggs also previews receiver Marquise Goodwin's road to the London Olympics, where he'll compete in the long jump early next month.
- Oklahoma has one of the nation's best home-field advantages, but Jason Kersey of The Oklahoman explains why that's not necessarily a good thing. He also reports RB Dominique Whaley was playing an "intense" game of pickup ball on Sunday. Good news for his status in fall camp after breaking his leg last season against Kansas State.
- New Kansas defensive tackle Keon Stowers plans on to bringing the nasty this fall in Lawrence, writes Matt Tait of the Journal-World.
- Oklahoma State picked up a big commitment at receiver over the weekend.
- Nick Kosmider of the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal introduces you to the newest offensive lineman in Texas Tech's recruiting fold. He also previews the quarterbacks for 2012.
- Former Baylor WR Josh Gordon is hosting his pro day tomorrow at the Texans' facility.