Wednesday, September 5, 2012
Big 12 game picks rewind: Week 1
By David Ubben
In this space each week, we'll rehash the last week of game predictions. It could be ugly some weeks, others could be quite sweet on my end.
Either way, we'll examine the carnage every week.
Here's how I did in Week 1:
My pick: West Virginia 47, Marshall 17
Actual score: West Virginia 69, Marshall 34
My pick: Iowa State 28, Tulsa 24
- Hindsight: Even I didn't think West Virginia's offense would look as good as it did -- and I was certain the Mountaineers had the best offense in the league. The first-team defense only gave up 20 points, with reserves surrendering a couple garbage-time scores.
Actual score: Iowa State 38, Tulsa 23
- Hindsight: Iowa State's offense looked better than I expected, but the defense was kind of all over the place. Early on, the Cyclones looked awful, but the second and third quarters they looked like world-beaters. Still, a huge win for ISU, yet another as an underdog. Called that one. Ames is a tougher place to play than it gets credit for.
My pick: Oklahoma State 172, Savannah State 4
- Hindsight: To quote one Uncle Jesse: "Have mercy!"
My pick: Texas Tech 55, Northwestern State 20
Actual score: Texas Tech 44, Northwestern State 6
My pick: Kansas 38, South Dakota State 14
- Hindsight: I don't really care if it was Northwestern State, holding a team to less than 100 yards of offense is really impressive. The offense did what I expected after a slower start, but the defense was much better than anything I thought it could do.
Actual score: Kansas 31, South Dakota State 17
My pick: Kansas State 34, Missouri State 10
- Hindsight: Pretty much what I thought here. The offense can't score at will, but it would be able to grind down an FCS squad.
Actual score: Kansas State 51, Missouri State 9
My pick: Texas 27, Wyoming 17
- Hindsight: Never saw Kansas State's fourth-quarter outburst coming, but I also thought K-State would handle the first three quarters more deftly. The Wildcats were tied at 9-all in the third quarter, but added an 89-yard punt return and a 95-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter.
Actual score: Texas 37, Wyoming 17
My pick: Oklahoma 41, UTEP 17
- Hindsight: A little surprised at David Ash's accuracy, but he's got to be better on deep balls. Also, I thought I'd share my favorite email from last week. Jerad in Colorado wrote: It cracks me up you think Wyoming will score 17 points on Texas. Get ready for Texas football cause here it comes!! You way underestimate what the longhorns are about to do this year.
Actual score: Oklahoma 24, UTEP 7
My pick: Baylor 41, SMU 31
- Hindsight: Oklahoma needed a good day from its defense and got one, even though the UTEP special teams bailed out the Sooners with three missed field goals. I never saw Oklahoma's offensive struggles coming, though. Not against the Miners, anyway.
Actual score: Baylor 59, SMU 24
- Hindsight: I was really impressed with both Baylor's offense and defense. Definitely making me reconsider how high Baylor could reach in the Big 12 standings. Conference play's going to be fascinating.