Tuesday, September 11, 2012
Big 12 game picks rewind: Week 2
By David Ubben
In this space each week, we'll rehash the last week of game predictions. It could be ugly some weeks, others could be quite sweet on my end.
Either way, we'll examine the carnage every week. This week, it was more the former.
Here's how I did in Week 2:
My pick: Kansas State 27, Miami 20
Actual score: Kansas State 52, Miami 13
My pick: Iowa 31, Iowa State 30
- Hindsight: Not even K-State's players saw this lopsided result coming. Still, what domination from K-State. I was high on the Wildcats before this, but after? Man. Miami's defensive line isn't all that different from the majority of the rest of the Big 12. Can the Wildcats keep up this kind of domination on the O-line?
Actual score: Iowa State 9, Iowa 6
My pick: Kansas 38, Rice 20
- Hindsight: Neither of these two teams have changed all that much from a year ago, but last year's 85-point, triple-overtime thriller was a little different from this muckfest. Either way, when the dust cleared from this ugly game, the Cy-Hawk trophy was headed back to Ames for a second consecutive year.
Actual score: Rice 25, Kansas 24
My pick: TCU 59, Grambling State 13
- Hindsight: Didn't think I'd see a Big 12 team lose to Rice this year. Inexcusable for the Jayhawks, but this was one of three misses for me this week. Rough one.
Actual score: TCU 56, Grambling State 0
My pick: Texas Tech 37, Texas State 24
- Hindsight: TCU took care of business against the FCS squad. Well done.
Actual score: Texas Tech 58, Texas State 10
My pick: Oklahoma 58, Florida A&M 3
- Hindsight: So much for upset alert. I thought Texas State would make this one a game. Texas Tech played a fantastic game and made Texas State look like a school playing its first season as an FBS member.
Actual score: Oklahoma 69, Florida A&M 13
My pick: Texas 41, New Mexico 13
- Hindsight: Everyone thought it would get ugly. It did. Moving on...
Actual score: Texas 45, New Mexico 0
My pick: Oklahoma State 44, Arizona 21
- Hindsight: Texas' defense finally showcased its ability. Not much else to learn from this rout.
Actual score: Arizona 59, Oklahoma State 38
- Hindsight: By far my biggest whiff of the week. Felt pretty confident about the Pokes and thought they'd roll a young Arizona squad. Penalties and turnovers assured they would not. Have to be impressed with Rich Rodriguez so far.
Gonna go ahead and give myself an F for this week's picks. Better luck next week.