Tuesday, September 18, 2012
Big 12 game picks rewind: Week 3
By David Ubben
In this space each week, we'll rehash the previous week's game predictions. It could be ugly some weeks, others could be quite sweet on my end.
Either way, we'll examine the carnage every week. This week, it was more the former.
Here's how I did in Week 3:
My pick: TCU 44, Kansas 17
Actual score: TCU 20, Kansas 6
My pick: Oklahoma State 51, Louisiana-Lafayette 24
- Hindsight: Four turnovers -- all in or near the KU red zone -- and a missed chip-shot field goal provided this game's final score, but those mistakes are all out of character for the Frogs. TCU's got to be happy with its defense, too.
Actual score: Oklahoma State 65, Louisiana-Lafayette 24
My pick: West Virginia 61, James Madison 13
- Hindsight: Nobody counted on OSU being without Wes Lunt for essentially the game's duration, but how about J.W. Walsh stepping in and setting a school record for total offense? Nuts.
Actual score: West Virginia 42, James Madison 12
My pick: Baylor 55, Sam Houston State 20
- Hindsight: James Madison controlled the ball pretty well and limited the amount of snaps West Virginia could run. In the process, it kept WVU from scoring 60 points for a third consecutive game.
Actual score: Baylor 48, Sam Houston State 23
My pick: Kansas State 38, North Texas 13
- Hindsight: This one was much, much different than the final score indicated. My pick looks good in hindsight, but the Bears trailed 20-10 at halftime, and a pick-six in the final seconds offered an even more attractive final score against the Bearkats.
Actual score: Kansas State 35, North Texas 21
My pick: Texas Tech 51, New Mexico 13
- Hindsight: K-State started slow again and played down to its competition a little bit, but another late-game surge made this one still pretty far from a legitimate upset.
Actual score: Texas Tech 49, New Mexico 14
My pick: Iowa State 38, Western Illinois 10
- Hindsight: New Mexico's not very good. Nobody still really knows how good Texas Tech is, but the Red Raiders have done everything asked of them so far, and the defense looks great through three games. Tech is taking care of business, though it also has the league's worst nonconference slate.
Actual score: Iowa State 37, Western Illinois 3
My pick: Texas 24, Ole Miss 13
- Hindsight: Paul Rhoads actually wasn't very pleased with this one, but Iowa State cleaned up a cupcake in its final game, but Tulsa and Iowa provided ISU one of the Big 12's best overall nonconference schedules.
Actual score: Texas 66, Ole Miss 31
- Hindsight: This was my biggest miss of the week, but did anyone see David Ash hitting on the long ball like he did? Ole Miss' defensive backs weren't very good at covering jump balls, but Ash's development is a big encouragement for the burnt-orange inclined.
No tough picks this week, but I'd give myself an A-. What would you give me?