Friday, October 5, 2012
Big 12 did you know? Week 6
By David Ubben
Time for our weekly collection of stats, tidbits and facts from around the Big 12.
As always, these are courtesy of ESPN Stats & Info, as well as sports information departments around the Big 12. You make your readers the smartest people at their tailgates. We love you.
Did you know ...
- Since 2004, Oklahoma is 18-0 coming off a regular-season loss. Bob Stoops has never suffered consecutive Big 12 losses.
- Oklahoma is 2-4 on the road against Texas Tech under Stoops.
- On passes thrown longer than 15 yards this season, Geno Smith has nine touchdowns and eight incompletions.
- Smith completed just 45 percent of his throws longer than 15 yards in 2011. In 2012, he's completing 72 percent of those same passes.
- Against Baylor, Smith was 7-of-9 for 311 yards and five touchdowns on throws longer than 15 yards.
- Smith has targeted Tavon Austin or Stedman Bailey on 61 percent of his passes this season.
- The duo has accounted for 1,195 receiving yards this year, which is more than 76 FBS teams.
- Together, they have 17 touchdown catches, more than any team in FBS.
- Smith has completed 19 of 20 passes for 320 yards, four touchdowns and no interceptions when throwing out of an empty backfield.
- Last year, on those same attempts, Smith was 16-of-25 for 194 yards with no touchdowns and three interceptions.
- Last season, Texas quarterback David Ash's passes averaged 8.8 yards in the air.
- This year, his passes average 6.1 yards in the air.
- He's completing 78 percent of his passes, versus 56.6 percent last year.
- When blitzed, Ash is completing 75 percent of his passes for three touchdowns and no interceptions. Against Oklahoma State, he was 10-of-12 for 115 yards and a touchdown.
- Last year, Ash completed 52 percent of his passes for three interceptions and no touchdowns when blitzed.
- In goal-to-go situations since last season, Collin Klein has scored touchdowns on 27 of his 53 rush attempts.
- Last year, he had four touchdowns on five rushes in goal-to-go situations against Kansas.
- Klein completed only 47.5 percent of this throws longer than 15 yards the past two seasons, but against Kansas, Klein completed 5 of 7 passes for 141 yards and a touchdown.
- TCU's average start position on its drives this year is on the 40-yard line, the best mark of any FBS team.
- TCU remains one of just three teams that hasn't surrendered a touchdown run of at least 40 yards since 2009.
- Texas Tech has given up just two plays longer than 25 yards this season, the best of any defense in the FBS.
- Oklahoma has gone three-and-out just four times this season, tied for the second fewest in FBS.
- Texas Tech? The Red Raiders have just two three-and-outs on offense, the best mark in the FBS.
- Iowa State coach Paul Rhoads was born 10 minutes from Jack Trice Stadium.
- Iowa State broke up 3.9 passes per game last season. This season, the Cyclones are breaking up 6.5 passes per game.
- ISU is holding opponents to just 22-of-71 on third downs this season. That ranks 23rd nationally and fourth in the Big 12, behind TCU, Oklahoma and Texas Tech.
- Kansas leads the all-time series with Kansas State, 65-39-5, and it's been split, 4-4, in the last eight meetings.
- If Kansas loses, the Jayhawks will be 573-573-58 all-time, a win percentage of exactly .500.