Monday, October 15, 2012
Peeking ahead to Week 8 in the Big 12
By David Ubben
Week 7 is in the books, but here's what you can look forward to in the Big 12 this week:
- Kansas State and West Virginia could have been the national game of the week, but the Mountaineers laid an egg in Lubbock, Texas, and will try to bounce back against the Big 12's soundest, and lone undefeated, team. Kansas State will slow the pace and try to control the clock, but what the heck happened to West Virginia? The Mountaineers are still searching for answers, and they'll be counting on a huge atmosphere on Saturday, despite last week's disappointment.
- Prepare to spend a little time looking back at one of the worst days ever for Oklahoma State, and looking ahead to the revenge angle this week. Iowa State comes to Stillwater after ruining the Cowboys' national title hopes a year ago, and the Cyclones are perfectly capable of going toe-to-toe and beating OSU again this year. In the meantime, will Wes Lunt be back?
- Nobody in the Big 12 has looked better than Oklahoma the past two weeks. Nobody has looked worse than Kansas. Is there a quarterback controversy in Lawrence, and can the Jayhawks make a game of it in Norman?
- RG3 was the Bears' key to big wins over Texas in each of the past two seasons, but these two teams will both be trying to avoid three-game losing streaks in a head-to-head matchup. Somebody is leaving Austin with their chins in their chests. This league is cutthroat and with six 10-win teams coming back (and Texas hoping to join their ranks), it seemed like everybody in the league had high hopes. The loser of this one will face a very harsh reality.
- What's quietly one of the nastiest rivalries in the Big 12? Texas Tech and TCU. These two fan bases do not like each other, and there's a whole lot of disagreement about who was responsible for the disintegration of a nonconference series between the two. There's no getting around this game, though. The former Southwest Conference rivals will tangle in the Big 12 for the first time, with Tech making a trip to Fort Worth.
Here's a quick glance at the Big 12 schedule this week (all times ET):
- Iowa State at Oklahoma State, noon, FX
- Texas Tech at TCU, 3:30 p.m., ABC
- Kansas State at West Virginia, 7 p.m., FOX
- Kansas at Oklahoma, 7 p.m., Fox Sports Net
- Baylor at Texas, 8 p.m., ABC