Tuesday, October 23, 2012
Big 12 game picks rewind: Week 8
By David Ubben
In this space each week, we'll rehash the previous week's game predictions. It could be ugly some weeks, others could be quite sweet on my end.
Either way, we'll examine the carnage every week. This week, it was more of the latter.
Here's how I did in Week 8:
Record: 4-1 (.800)
Overall: 37-11 (.770)
My pick: Oklahoma State 34, Iowa State 30
Actual score: Oklahoma State 31, Iowa State 10
My pick: Texas Tech 31, TCU 27
- Hindsight: Iowa State's offense is a mess, but OSU's defense played well, too, making stops on nine consecutive possessions at one point in the game. Amazing what J.W. Walsh did, despite a bum knee.
Actual score: Texas Tech 56, TCU 53 (3 OT)
My pick: Oklahoma 51, Kansas 10
- Hindsight: I came pretty close to pegging the score on the number before overtime happened. Overtime was the same as the rest of the game, though: Either team could have won this. Texas Tech is on a roll, though. Gotta like their experience late versus a very, very young TCU team.
Actual score: Oklahoma 52, Kansas 7
My pick: Kansas State 37, West Virginia 34
- Hindsight: Sometimes, games go exactly like you think they will. The only thing I didn't expect? Oklahoma scoring 52 points and running just 53 plays. That's life when you score twice on special teams and allow some success running the ball.
Actual score: Kansas State 55, West Virginia 14
My pick: Baylor 44, Texas 38
- Hindsight: I felt more and more confident about the K-State pick the closer the game got, but I never, ever thought WVU would return home and get blasted yet again. Big, big questions for both the offense and the defense at West Virginia, but K-State is pretty close to being as good as it looked.
Actual score: Texas 56, Baylor 50
- Hindsight: I underestimated the health of David Ash in this one. He didn't show very many effects of that wrist injury, and didn't look very limited. I knew this one would be tight, but I leaned Baylor because of Nick Florence and Ash's injury. Ash was too good, though. Well done.
Much better week in Week 8. What would you grade my picks this time around?